Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Bigger Mash Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Default Bigger Mash Tun

Need some help with a bigger mash tun? I picked two 70q coolers form a friend cheap. I have 2 of 12" Bazooka Screen and a No Weld Homebrew Kettle Valve Conversion Kit – Brass. I was thinking one of two things, first the simple way would be to just use one of the Bazooka and the Valve and the other way would be to make a U-shaped manifold, then put the two Bazookas on the end of that. Which do you think would be best?

dscf4029.jpg   dscf4030.jpg  
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Either plan would work but if you've got the two bazooka tubes and you wanted to use both of them, that would decrease the chance of it plugging up when you sparge.
I'm not sure if that's a real problem. I've never had one plug but there are lots of grain bills and I've only done a small amount in the big picture.

You wont gain anything in flow rate really since you are able to feed the ball valve as much as it can handle with one screen and that's a faster flow rate than you are going to do when you are brewing anyway.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I would just use the one directly threaded into the bulkhead. Less deadspace.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply