Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Another pickup tube option - elbow + silicone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Another pickup tube option - elbow + silicone

So tonight i finally drilled a hole in my HLT for one of the weldless kits i bought from bargainfittings ages ago.

I'd seen some posts about how a simple elbow fitting works fine as a pickup tube, so i ordered some with my valves. And then for months i worried about whether i would end up drilling the hole in the kettle slightly too high or slightly too low.

As it turns out i drilled a bit high, about half an inch from the bottom of the elbow to the bottom of the kettle. So i started wondering about what i could install that would give me a siphon closer to the bottom of the kettle.

Turns out that 1/2" ID silicone tubing fits neatly inside 1/2" NPT female threads.

I'll see how it works out tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts

A hose barb would work and you can angle it down to where you need it.

The tubing might loose suction unless you can get a very tight fit on the inner threads.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

we used silicone on a customer's keggle to get underneath the pico false bottom

It works great

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

I guess i should take a picture - I've got the elbow + bit of hose pointing straight down

I'll see if it loses suction during my brew day today. even if it doesn't work out right, it'll be less pouring than I'm used to.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

OK, if draining rinse water out of the kettle counts, and it should, if i tip the kettle to the side when it gets near the last of it, it leaves behind a little less than 1/2c of water.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
ClemsonDV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
I guess i should take a picture - I've got the elbow + bit of hose pointing straight down

I'll see if it loses suction during my brew day today. even if it doesn't work out right, it'll be less pouring than I'm used to.
How is this working. I bought an 90 deg elbow without the street, and I am starting to worry that i will have the valve up to high. I want to give myself enough room for protecting the valve against heat and also that I can possible get fit in a pickup tube later on.

I was curious to how the silicone tubing is working with it being so close to the bottom and the diect heat. I am slightly worried the burner would affect the tubing because its so close to the bottom of the kettle.

Amazon has some 1/2" NPT pipe threads for cheap that I might use as well. Just not sure what direction to take and I am dying to put my valves in.
Up Next: Centennial Blonde

Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Check this fitting from BrewHardware.com out

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Quick Reply