Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > 60 Quart Cooler = Cheap New Mash Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
SilverZero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

$24 at Walmart, even cheaper than advertised online when I decided to head out to get it!

forumrunner_20130505_194403.png

Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

This is what I use. Works great!

Primary: Wild Strawberry Blonde Ale
Secondary: None
Kegged: Rasputin's Beard, Birch Beer
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

So here's the back-story: My other mash tun was an older picnic cooler. The liner was pretty thin, and when I started using it for hot purposes (mashing and sparging) the inside started buckling. Then I started noticing that, no matter how much I rinsed and recirc'd, there would always be a bit of brown liquid at the base. I figured the manifold was just harboring a bit in the corners where it wasn't getting rinsed. But today I pulled the manifold out and noticed a small hole in the liner of the cooler! So I've got the rotting dregs of at least a couple of recent mashes stuck in the walls of my cooler. I'm interested in taking it apart to see what it's like, but in the meantime I got to make an impulse buy for my brewing setup!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

That's just horrible...

Homebrew Finds frequently posts really good cooler deals.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
LosEsco25
Recipes 

Can you post pictures of your setup inside the cooler, I just bought one and the drain is a little higher up than I thought... And I was wondering how much wort ya loose

Old 05-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
glockspeed31
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosEsco25 View Post
Can you post pictures of your setup inside the cooler, I just bought one and the drain is a little higher up than I thought... And I was wondering how much wort ya loose
If your worried about the drain spout being too high up, adjust your manifold drain tube for the hight difference. The suction will pull most of your wort up and out.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosEsco25 View Post
Here's my version using that cooler. Works great for me. Lose about .25 gallons in dead space. I sprayed good stuff insulation into the lid to make it even better insulated. I lose maybe 1F in an hour mash.
20130508_214806.jpg  

Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
theIrish
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Stainless braid for your manifold is very interesting... Do you have any issues with it collapsing under the weight of the grain? What kind of flow rate do you get? Your efficiency? I currently have an all chopper tubing manifold but i get preferential flow nearest the bulkhead

Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Menards (might not have one near you, midwest big-box store) is having a lot of sales on coolers right now, too. I already have 70qt Xtreme that I use and won't outgrow for some time, but they had good variety for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIrish View Post
Stainless braid for your manifold is very interesting... Do you have any issues with it collapsing under the weight of the grain? What kind of flow rate do you get? Your efficiency? I currently have an all chopper tubing manifold but i get preferential flow nearest the bulkhead
The entire thing is made from copper pipe. I made the copper manifold and used it for a couple of years. Then I got paranoid that I was getting too much grain into my boil kettle. So I slid the SS mesh over the copper manifold portions that had the slits cut into them. No collapsing. I haven't noticed any difference in flow rate since I added the mesh. I batch sparge, so my efficiency is pretty consistent between 75-80%. I haven't noticed any change in efficiency since I added the mesh. The vorlauf step clears much faster though.

Quick Reply