Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Where do I find 16-20 ft cedar poles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Where do I find 16-20 ft cedar poles?

I'm planning on building a hops trellis this year and would like to find 3 cedar or locust wood poles 16-20 feet in length to support my cable. The problem I am running into is that Home Depot, Lowes, and the other 2 local building supply stores here in town don't carry lengths of wood over 16 feet and when they do they are made of fir rather than a nice non rotting type of wood. Has anyone else built any hops trellis' like this? If so what did you use for supports on each end of your trellis? I'm even thinking that 15 ft would be ok, with 3 feet buried into the ground leaving it be about 12 feet high. It would make for easier harvesting and out here in New Mexico we don't have lots of rain/water so I doubt my hops will be reaching any extraordinary heights. So far the only store that carries cedar poles only has them in 8 ft lengths. I may have to rethink my entire design.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Use metal fence poles.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Companies that supply the utility companies. You might have to buy 60' poles and cut them down.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
BigJason
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
I'm planning on building a hops trellis this year and would like to find 3 cedar or locust wood poles 16-20 feet in length to support my cable. The problem I am running into is that Home Depot, Lowes, and the other 2 local building supply stores here in town don't carry lengths of wood over 16 feet and when they do they are made of fir rather than a nice non rotting type of wood. Has anyone else built any hops trellis' like this? If so what did you use for supports on each end of your trellis? I'm even thinking that 15 ft would be ok, with 3 feet buried into the ground leaving it be about 12 feet high. It would make for easier harvesting and out here in New Mexico we don't have lots of rain/water so I doubt my hops will be reaching any extraordinary heights. So far the only store that carries cedar poles only has them in 8 ft lengths. I may have to rethink my entire design.
Why not bolt a couple 8'ers together and bury 3' into the ground. Might not be as sleek looking as a single board, but what the heck, right?

6 Gal. Primary - NB's Wheaten Beatdown
6 Gal. Primary - NB's Wheaten Beatdown
5 Gal. Secondary - Empty
5 Gal. Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - Dunkelweizen, Dawson's Multigrain Red

Old 04-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just did a few poles this weekend. Not sure the length poles i bought, but i think 6-8ft? Anyway, i bought three 2x2s for each end. Cut a portion for the base so that the bottom was essentially the three 2x2 with one 6" length piece on the bottom. I took the rest of the pole and bolted it to the top essentially making double the length. I'll be connecting them with rope on the very tops adding another 6-8' to the overall grow area. I put a cement base in and will hope for the best. I'll likely brace them with tent stakes once they get going. Bines on each end and will meet in the middle. Total cost for my trip was about $30.

Here's the unfinished idea. Note the upper poles are not yet attached. These poles look about 6' as i recall.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Quick Reply