Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Water heater/recirculator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
bemerritt
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Water heater/recirculator

Posted this in the beginners forum and was advised to post it here. Hoping for a better response. Anyways, here's the story.

2 months ago my boss fled the country for a new job and gave me all of his equipment. Well the first extract batch is currently on tap in my new kegerator and the second is fermenting away. As with all of you, I'm now hooked.

I know all grain is in my future and have hunted down a keg to be converted. Looking through his big box of stuff, I found a water heater recirculator and want to know what the best way for me to take advantage of such a nice piece of equipment.

It is the REC-H1000 model

http://rprcorp.com/recirculator.htm

I currently have it working away on a bucket of water to see what its max temp is. I know it is lower than mashing temps, but I'm assuming this is what he used it for.

Long story short, what is the best way to use this thing? Thanks for the help (and for all the help i got lurking up until this point!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
heckels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts

The max temp is about what comes out of most taps so i'm not sure what practical purpose it would have.

The 1500 model, on the other hand, could work for either heating mash in/ sparge water or maintaining mash temps.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
bemerritt
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok, that's pretty much what I gathered from it as well. I think I'm better off selling it for a couple hundred and investing in more important pieces of equipment.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Monster Mash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That's pretty expensive for only heating to 115 degrees. Too bad it's not the 1500 model, it would work for sous vide also.

Quick Reply