Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Undersink Water Filter (24/7 Filtration)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
510brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Undersink Water Filter (24/7 Filtration)

I would really like to use a 10" water filter like the one used in this thread, only plumb it inline with my cold water supply under my sink and leave it there full-time. This way, all of the cold water that came out of my kitchen faucet would go through the filter. I'm completely ok with changing the carbon filter every few months. I think I have 1/2" braided supply hose, so I could be wrong but it seems like it would be pretty easy to find the right adapters. Does anyone see a reason not to do this? I have very soft water for what its worth. I'm also renting, so I can't drill holes in the counter or do anything permanent to the plumbing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
cascadia
Recipes 

I too live in a rental house and that is exactly how I have mine set up. It works great.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
510brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascadia View Post
I too live in a rental house and that is exactly how I have mine set up. It works great.
Nice, were you able to find all of the parts at a major hardware store?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did it, but it reduced my pressure at the tap by quite a bit, despite being rated for it. Took it out and just use it to brew now.

You'll probably have a different experience based upon the filter that you buy, but mine was an under sink cold water filter, and it just pushed enough water for one of those little drinking spigots, not a full faucet.

Of course, now that it's broken in, it's got a little more oomph, but probably still not enough.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
510brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser423 View Post
I did it, but it reduced my pressure at the tap by quite a bit, despite being rated for it. Took it out and just use it to brew now.

You'll probably have a different experience based upon the filter that you buy, but mine was an under sink cold water filter, and it just pushed enough water for one of those little drinking spigots, not a full faucet.

Of course, now that it's broken in, it's got a little more oomph, but probably still not enough.
Do you happen to remember what size (.5 micron/5 micron) filter you got?

Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
cascadia
Recipes 

I didn't notice any loss in water pressure. It is a whole house model (clear with a blue lid), many people on the board use it to filter their brewing water. I had purchased it several years ago from more beer. It has 1/2" inlet/outlet. I found suitable couplings in the plumbing section at lowes near the water supply hoses.

Quick Reply