Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > TIG Welder? tigmaster or Greenmonte?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
dmfa200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflip_mj View Post
I cant afford 2400 for the Dynasty.

Why so cheap for the Maxstar? How many hours has it been used and whats included?
I'll have to get more info on the Maxstar.

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Kick I don't want to steal your thread, but also wanted to ask if TIG is the best way to go for a beginning weldor? Looking to do stainless and some mild steel related to motorcycles and maybe my truck.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Been looking at welders myself... Everyone I know raves about Miller welders. I know Lincoln is also a reputable welder, but what about ESAB?

ESAB is the only one I can find that makes a welder that Mig/Tig/Stick welds! It'd be nice to have all 3 in machine!

Suggestions or insight on any of this?

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
Been looking at welders myself... Everyone I know raves about Miller welders. I know Lincoln is also a reputable welder, but what about ESAB?

ESAB is the only one I can find that makes a welder that Mig/Tig/Stick welds! It'd be nice to have all 3 in machine!

Suggestions or insight on any of this?
The all in one machine maybe able to do all, but poorly at that, it probably migs ok, but with very little adjustability its comparable to the harbor freight scratch start tig....

Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Esab is another less known company that makes decent welding machines.
They are known more for their filler metals, than their welding machines.

Miller does make the XMT series that does mig/tig/stick in DC only.
The XMT works extremely well in all three processes. I've got hundreds of hours under the hood using the XMT.
You can find them sometimes for a steal.
They require 230v power.

The plus side is they auto configure to any supply voltage, whether it's single phase 230v or 3 phase 480v

Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I was interested in an All-In-One (Tig/Stick/Plasma Cutter). I was looking at the Everlast machines. After reading all I could find, the switch over time between Plasma & Tig for instance kinda turned me off. I ended up finding a decent deal on a Miller Syncrowave 250 with a water cooler... I couldn't be happier.

Ed

Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Kick I don't want to steal your thread, but also wanted to ask if TIG is the best way to go for a beginning weldor? Looking to do stainless and some mild steel related to motorcycles and maybe my truck.
For small diameter tubing and making short welds, tig would be the process to use, even for a beginner.

Mig was invented for production, laying down weld very fast. When welding small diameter tube and pipe it just lays down too fast to manage and make nice looking welds.

And at low currents you're welding with a short circuiting arc that tends to be a little on the cold side making your welds look excessively convex, and tends to create a lot of spatter.

Globular transfer makes a better penetrating, smoother weld but is usually too hot for small diameter, thin walled tubing.

Spray transfer makes the nicest welds, with virtually no spatter, and excellent penetration, but requires even more current than globular transfer.
Spray transfer is suited for heavy weldments that require high amounts of weld deposited at a fast rate.

Don't get the wrong idea about what I'm saying. Mig does a great job at doing square tubing, but but tig is better suited on small rounds.
The reason is when welding round tubing your hand position is constantly changing as you progress around the tubing at the same time mig wire is constantly feeding out of the gun. You cannot change the rate at which the wire feeds while your welding. This also results in different weld profiles as your position changes while making the weld.
When tig welding you have total control over the rate at which you deposit metal, and your weld profile tends to remain the same as you progress.

The biggest obstacle for beginners is the coordination of working a foot control, torch, and filler metal all at the same time and making it all work together.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsbro View Post
The all in one machine maybe able to do all, but poorly at that, it probably migs ok, but with very little adjustability its comparable to the harbor freight scratch start tig....
Ok Thanks, Not that I'm stuck on ESAB, but just to make sure... the all in one is a poor idea because it's trying to do too much in one package and quality is deminished or is ESAB not a trust worthy product?

Honestly I've been eyeing a few miller welders on ebay, but the convienence of the all in one by ESAB caught my eye.

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #19
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I can't say for sure that the Esab multiprocess machine is good or bad. Don't have much experience with one.
Their dedicated mig and stick machines are good welders, I have used them.

Their are so many choices out there, and the wallet dictates what most of us settle with.

If you want a good tig machine Syncrowave is what I'd choose. It's more affordable than the Dynasty DX
It welds Aluminum and has adjustable AC balance. It is an excellent welder.

If you don't need AC Maxstar is a good choice.

If you want to spend a little more on a DC machine the XMT is an excellent choice.

I know that welding machines are expensive, but when you buy those harbor freight and the like machines it's like handicapping yourself when it comes to learning to weld.

If your set on learning to weld and DIY'ing just bite the bullet and buy a good welder.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #20
dumbswede
Recipes 

Agree...don't buy the Harbor Freight welder, you will end up frustrated.
My two cents;
If you are looking to purchase one stationary welder, buy a tig. A good tig is capable of welding ALL types of metal. It is very controlled, but does take some time to learn (like any welding).
If you have the bucks, buy new..but spend a few weeks or a month researching (talk to people you know that tig weld and Google) watch Craigslist and find yourself a hell of a deal.
I wanted a tig welder like my dad has but did not want to spend $3500.. I ended up finding an old Linde 300 amp tig/arc welder with a cooler for $550. It is a workhorse and will weld anything you will ever need. However it weighs 1000# and is the size of a large washing machine.

Bottom line- everyone has different needs and opinions. Spend some time researching and purchase what works for you.....
A lot of guys spend $350 on the Home Depot Lincoln mig welder and love it. They will weld up to 1/4 thick material, run on 120v, and are very portable.

Quick Reply