Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Tankless water heater for fly sparging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #21
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Why 140? Several reasons; first, that is the magic temperature at which hot water burns skin, second, the more you heat the less efficient things become, third, any and all household work can be done with water that hot, and these are designed as household heaters. You will not reach the magic sparge temp of 170F with any tankless heater I know of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernip View Post
I have seen many commercial units that will go up to 180* but they are a 2k. Not really economical for the home brewer.

Well I guess you guys never read posts 7 and 14. Yes they do make them, and no they do not cost $2000.

Guy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #22
Jknapp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
The capacity of a tankless heater that's significant is the temperature RISE: the amount it can raise the inlet water by the time it gets to the outlet, since the water just makes a pass through the heater, never sits in a tank. Ours is 95F, which is the best we've ever had (we've had 3 since 1977, one made in Britain one French, and this one's a Bosch Aquastar.....all propane. Since we're in the country, on well water that runs 55F year around, the math isn't difficult....but. The "but" is that these things are temperature limited. Given the performance of the heater, one would think it'd do 150F, but it's actually 140F. Why 140? Several reasons; first, that is the magic temperature at which hot water burns skin, second, the more you heat the less efficient things become, third, any and all household work can be done with water that hot, and these are designed as household heaters. You will not reach the magic sparge temp of 170F with any tankless heater I know of.
My Noritz hits 180 with a flow rate of 2.4 GPM (the digital control panel gives GPM reading) without batting an eye. My ground water temp is 47. Thats a 133 degree rise almost instantly. Mind you, 2.4 gals per minute is no where near its max GPM flow when set at 120 degrees, but still, 2.4 GPM means I have all my mash/sparge water collected for a 6 gallon batch in minutes.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #23
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4694 Times on 4590 Posts
Likes Given: 2396

Ditto on the Noritz at my home. Just adding confirmation that it will hit 180 even in the dead of winter. Measured output of my 10 ft feeder hose with thermapen at 178+ into the HLT.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Interesting units....but overkill in my household application, and not usable for brewing for me, since I can't use the tap water for brewing anyhow.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
tbeard
Recipes 

I just got off the phone with a guy at ECCOtemp who manufacture a small unit for about $250 which runs on LP and he says that while it would void the warranty it would be quite easy to remove the high-temp cutoff from the L10 unit. He would even give me directions over the phone if I needed to "replace my high-temp cutoff" which should easily give me 180F water at 2gpm. I will post a new topic when the unit comes in and I have tested it.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #26
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard View Post
I just got off the phone with a guy at ECCOtemp who manufacture a small unit for about $250 which runs on LP and he says that while it would void the warranty it would be quite easy to remove the high-temp cutoff from the L10 unit. He would even give me directions over the phone if I needed to "replace my high-temp cutoff" which should easily give me 180F water at 2gpm. I will post a new topic when the unit comes in and I have tested it.
I was just looking at that model. Did this ever work out for you?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 493 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine View Post
I was just looking at that model. Did this ever work out for you?
I have a 5 gallon West Bend coffee maker heats water to exactly 168* works like a dream plug it in and I have hot water for sparge and clean up.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #28
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I found that model for $200 shipped so I pulled the trigger on it. It's normally $280 so I couldn't resist.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=219061279

Here is the manufacturer's website.

http://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-l10...-water-heater/

It looks like you need this extra part to get over 140, but it was only $10

http://www.eccotemp.com/l10-overtemp-sensor/

Hopefully it will come before the weekend and I can do some testing and report back. I don't expect to be able to sparge directly from it, but it should at least be able to give my HLT a big head start.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #29
DrPhilGood
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine
I found that model for $200 shipped so I pulled the trigger on it. It's normally $280 so I couldn't resist.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=219061279

Here is the manufacturer's website.

http://www.eccotemp.com/eccotemp-l10...-water-heater/

It looks like you need this extra part to get over 140, but it was only $10

http://www.eccotemp.com/l10-overtemp-sensor/

Hopefully it will come before the weekend and I can do some testing and report back. I don't expect to be able to sparge directly from it, but it should at least be able to give my HLT a big head start.
Why do you not expect to directly fly sparge? You think you won't hit 170? If you add a ball valve to the output you should be able to adjust the flow rate to the proper rate no?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
MaxOut
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray

I have the Rhinni (sp?) unit. I'm going to look for a controller to increase the temp.

But as for a time out? No! I had a pipe burst this winter and once the water stared flowing it kicked on and poured 140* water out of my soffet for the better part of 8 hours until my wife got home from work!!! I burned 60#'s of propane that day!!! But it never turned off the water heater for 8 hours, so I wouldn't think that should be a concern!
Most Rinnai tankless hot water heaters are capable of 180 degree water output and is not limited by the remote controller. There is an internal jumper on the heater that is either set for residential or commercial use. Mine is a commercial model but the Rinnia tech I purchased it from told me about the jumper and while I had it apart I located it. Mine will kick out 180 all day. The controller is fairly accurate but I temper water in the HLT as needed. Strike on demand, Sparge on demand, and cleaning water on demand. Take an easy 1-2 hours of my brew day and the single best investment I've made on brewing gear. Keep an eye on Craigslist I found mine new in box for 1/3 of the original price with two controllers.

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Quick Reply