Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Tankless water heater for fly sparging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
WoweeZowee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tankless water heater for fly sparging?

I was just browsing around the internet for LP gas tankless water heaters, and I stumbled upon a fairly cheap model. Does anyone have experience with this kind of water heater? Could it be easily modified for lower flow-rate and higher temp? I would really like to have on-demand sparge water for my new propane fired stand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

No experience with it, but if it can be attached to a hose, then you can control the flow rate with a ball-valve.

One thing I wonder is if it is going to be able to get the temps you want. It might have built-in safety measures to prevent the water from getting too hot. Most hosehold water heaters don't heat hotter than 120*F or so, and I suspect this thing might be the same.

Getting it to put out 170*F water might not be possible.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The site says: Adjustable water temp from 80-150

Would be nice if it could hit 170 or so. I love the tankless instant hot water heater ideas, and am always looking out for them too..

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

flow rate drops with temp raises, but the chart they list for it doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
WoweeZowee
Recipes 

The manufacturers specs say that it needs 1.3 gal/per minute to activate, so I don't know if a ball valve alone is enough to regulate flow. Its highest rated water temp is 150*F. It doesn't seem like too far of a stretch to ask for 165*F.

I suppose the delivery rate issue could be fixed by placing a grant and float switch after the output of the heater. Any ideas on modifying it for slightly higher temps?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
WoweeZowee
Recipes 

Hmmm, I also see in the manual that there is a 20 minute safety shut off delay. It would be much more useful to find some technical drawings on this model - or just this type of tankless water heater.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I don't think this particular tankless hot water heater will do it for you. The Takagi Flash T-K3-SP-LP Whole House, Liquid Propane at about $850 will handle the job.

Quote:
Takagi T-K3 Tankless Hot Water Heater will give you a max output of 6.9 GPM. A 50-degree water input and a 55-degree temperature rise will give you about 6 GPM. This is enough for two standard showers (2.5 gpm each). The Takagi T-K3 can also be used for heating applications up to 180 degrees.
You can get a 120* temperature rise at 2.5 gpm

http://www.takagi.com/download/produ...tions/T-K3.pdf

Guy

Old 06-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Likely the unit control board is not user adjustable to reach the Strike and sparge temperatures you want. The units built for hydronic heating seem to allow for temperatures up to 170 but that seems to be the limit. It does not look like this would be a simple controls tweak to get a strike and sparge water heating system for a brewing system from one of the instant water heaters. GreenMonti's flash boiler looks like the gas burning candidate for both purposes but it is not an off the shelf device unless you could talk him into building one.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Jian143
Recipes 

Default Go with the T-K3-SP-LP!

I agree with Sawdustguy. I purchased Takagi's T-K3-SP-LP and was very satisfied with my purchase. The oneclickdirect.com website had it priced at $851 but I found a coupon code on some random coupon website for 5% off your whole purchase and it was free shipping. I think it was retailmenot.com or something like that. It would totally work for fly sparging.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

I do know one brewery that uses a couple tankless heaters in series, but the controls are locked out.

Quick Reply