Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Soldered 1" coupling for heater element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Soldered 1" coupling for heater element

so i had read through the several hundred pages of the solder stainless thread, and done a couple of vessels with 1/2" couplings for ball valves, thermometers, etc. now i wanted a heating element in my HLT to control my HERMS temps, so i dove in and made this happen!

for a primer on soldering stainless you may want to read this thread (or at least these few posts on how it all works). Big thanks to everyone who has done this before me, for giving me the courage to drill a 1.5" hole in a perfectly good HLT

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keg-...ml#post1917974

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sold...ml#post2264694

i performed the same process except using a 1.5" hole saw, a 1" half coupler and a larger conical reducer.

coupling for electrical element: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SHA...Coupling-2UA77

reducer coupling to make dimple: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SHA...-Reducer-1RTW7

Drilled the hole in a keg lid to test

Assembled the Tool

Pulled the Conical Reducer through, checking every couple of turns for size

Got a great dimple, ready for the coupling

Pulled the coupling through till flush with inside

View from front

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Then went to town on the HLT for real. no pics of soldering or pulling it through the keg, but that's all the same as any other size coupling. here's the finished pic with the heating element installed after soldering the coupling in place.

I need to build an enclosure for the electrical connectors on the heating element and wire it to the PID, but it's ready to rock! it heated 8 gallons of water at about 1 degree F a minute. that should be plenty to keep my HERMS happy, i'll most probably be using the burner to heat the HLT to the approximate temp then switching to electric for fine control.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
snackson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That is awesome! I might have to do the same thing when I get around to building mine!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
NatchezBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I know this is an old thread but I have been reading all of the silver soldering threads and now I'm confused. Why did you drill a 1.5" hole for a 1" coupling?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

1" pipe is not 1" OD, but closer to the ID. Given that 1" pipe has an OD of about 1.3", the coupling that it screws into is about 1.5" OD. Aside from how old the thread is, if anyone is newly reading this, I think a pipe coupling is about the worst solution for a heating element. Some of the better alternate solutions are triclover, welding spuds, and even just face soldering a 1" NPT locknut in a pinch. All of these will allow for gasket contact to the face of the fitting rather than relying on an NPS to NPT seal which requires a LOT of teflon tape to seal.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
NatchezBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the reply. Makes since.

I'm gathering up the info I need to silver solder 1" TC fittings and it has gotten a little bit aggregating.

Quick Reply