Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Simple wort aerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Simple wort aerator

This thread inspired me to try my hand at this.

It relies on the Venturi affect to introduce air into the wort flow. For those not familiar, the Venturi effect is the increase in velocity and corresponding decrease in pressure that results when a fluid flows through a constricted section of pipe. A venturi injector has an inlet at the site of the constriction. As a result of the low pressure the fluid passing by the hole creates a vacuum and pulls in another fluid. In this case the passing wort draws in air.

In the referenced thread, the constriction was caused by placing a smaller diameter tube inline with the output from the boil kettle. This seemed to work well, but I wanted a device that was one-piece, easy to attach and stainless steel. I decided to crimp a section tubing to make the restriction. I tested it on a small piece of soft copper. Using the two halves of a flaring tool, I placed the tubing in the flaring tool registry that was one unit smaller than the OD of the tubing (i.e. 1/2" OD tubing in 3/8" flaring registry). Then placed the assembly in a vise and crimped it.

I then drilled a hole at the restriction and tested. It took a few tries to get the hole placement right to yeild the most amount of bubbles. I then moved to 1/2" stainless tubing, brazed on a 1-1/2" tri-clamp fitting. It works really well. I'll post some pics of it in action when I brew on Saturday.

The aerator wand is placed into fermenter. I pass the wort through the plate chiller, through the aerator and directly into the fermenter. I have tested it with a March 809 pump at full throttle and it worked flawlessly. The restriction didn't cause a noticeable reduction in flow rate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
DustinHickey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice, I use a venturi on my system as well. Works nice. I just pump to the fermentor now through my CFC and never have to worry about infection as much.

-Dustin

Old 08-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've seen other using a thing called a Wortwizard to aerate wort, my main concern was simplicity. Either way, the venturi really whips up a froth in the wort.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
NiteOwlBrewing
Recipes 

Did a more ghetto/less bling approach with a piece of 3/8 copper at a break in my silicone 1/2" hose. Worked great even by gravity until the flow slowed toward the end

Old 08-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #5
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
This thread inspired me to try my hand at this.

Which way is the wort flowing?

The reduced section should have the highest pressure and if you move the hole to the outlet side of the restriction you should get the highest vacuum.

Awesome use of a super simple method to create a venturi!!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The wort is flowing left to right in that pic. The extra tube length after the veturi is to allow the air to be more easily entrained in the wort.

"The reduced section should have the highest pressure and if you move the hole to the outlet side of the restriction you should get the highest vacuum"

No, the velocity in the narrow portion is greater therefore the pressure is lower.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A normal venturi affect is caused by flow into a larger volume pipe. A flow is required and it is the flow as it enters the wider or larger part which sucks the air in.
What happens is as the wort/water flow exits the narrow part to fill the bigger pipe there is a slight void as it expands to fill this larger volume pipe. If pumped too slow the fluid will simply fill the void and no venture effect is created.

The reason holes in a racking cane work is gravity pulling the wort down is causing less than atmospheric pressure in the line. This is also why the hole in the middle of the crimp works.

If the hole in your pipe were moved to just as the tube is transcending back to normal shape on the down flow side, it will pull in more air. Adding another hole on the opposite side will help too.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It has nothing to do with a gap in the fluid flow. Here is some modeling showing how the secondary flow is induced by the low pressure created in the restricted orifice.

here is a depiction of a venturi flow meter.

The holes in a racking cane do work when you use a siphon because of the flow as you say. It doesn't work so well with a pressurized transfer (i.e. pump).

Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Please excuse my ignorance, but why doesn't wort leak out of the hole?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have no idea where the idea of a gap came from or what the difference is in a Separating and a non-separating nozzle is. A slower increase to the larger diameter is all I see.

Your first post’s first image shows the vacuum intake at a point it is widening. (A correct view of a true venture function.)

This image shows that at P1 there would be a decrease in the narrow part. No problem, I agree

However, this image is a modified one of your first image to better explain my point

If you used a modeling program to create these images, then try moving the inlet to this location and see the results.

Here is an image of a carb showing where the fuel enters and where the system gets a vacuum for other functions. The fuel enters at #5 and vacuum is picked up at #4. For maximum vacuum as I said, move the inlet to the side toward the larger volume side of the flow as in YOUR first post’s image.

This simple change might make all the difference in the world.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Quick Reply