Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > In Search of Dormshine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Sionolann3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default In Search of Dormshine

Hi Folks!
I recently began (again, the first time didn't go so well) my second venture into the o so illustrious art of Dormshining. This time however I have taken pictures and given specifications as to make this an effective learning experience for me, and people who are interested in creating a little booze for cheap, or just love that feeling of fermentation in their lives.

I will be keeping you up to date on how it will go, and hopefully we will have a finished product in about a week. Here we go!

Btw, sorry about the sideways pictures, I am an amateur at the whole uploading pictures and editing them.

1. I used a 64oz. container of Old Orchard 100% apple juice. This stuff apparently has

Besides that, it has 27g of sugars, and all the other goodies like sodium and potassium and stuff.

2. I soaked all the stuff in a mixture of household bleach, no additives, and water for about 10 minutes. It was about 1 tbsp. per gallon of water, too much? I rinsed it off thoroughly.

3. After that I dried it, poured the yeast into the apple juice (Redstar Champagne Yeast), stirred it a bit, and then put on the stopper and waterlock. I was unable to take a gravity reading because my damn hydrometer broke. Second one that has done this so far...

4. I then set it in my dark cubby hole near the roof of my room. Around 70 degrees, and slid the lid shut on it.

5. And now I wait! From my last experiment the yeast really gets going about an hour after being introduced to the juice. Hopefully it will go well.

If you have any advice or comments, feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks!
MB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You are basically making a (lower alcohol) version of http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-...felwein-14860/ . Suggest you read up on it a bit more, and use a more respectable name for it

Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
sarsnik
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just a warning - apfelwein smells like ass when fermenting. Your dorm (not just your room) will likely smell like it. Your better off just ordering a prehopped beer kit that only requires mixing with hot water.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Sionolann3
Recipes 

I've actually never had a problem with scent before. I made a similar batch (didn't go well) of blueberry "wein" and it didn't stink, but it sure wasn't good hahahaha.
I have intentions on making some actual apfelwein, but I don't have the space here, that will have to wait until I have my own place

Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ummm...sounds like you're kind of making an actual batch of it now.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Well, I was going to pick on you for wanting to make cheap SH!7 hooch, but seeing as you are a Dr. Who fan, and especially since you are a fan of the Dragonlance books, I'm cutting you some slack.

Now you just have to work on trimming that "little bit of country" part off your music list and you will be ok.

In all seriousness, your recipe is really just the same as the Apfelwein recipe. Cheap and easy to make and a legit beverage if done right. Just ask yourself if you are doing this for a tasty beverage, or to show how ghetto you really can be. Be truthful now, the Internet is watching.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In my day, the only 21+ year-olds living in the dorms were the religious zealots, the narcs, and the dweebs (as well as the dweeby religious zealot narcs).

Just sayin....

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
In my day, the only 21+ year-olds living in the dorms were the religious zealots, the narcs, and the dweebs (as well as the dweeby religious zealot narcs).

Just sayin....
I was 21 when I started college, and I lived in a dorm throughout my entire college career.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I was 21 when I started college, and I lived in a dorm throughout my entire college career.
Sooo which are you we need to know.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
Sionolann3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Well, I was going to pick on you for wanting to make cheap SH!7 hooch, but seeing as you are a Dr. Who fan, and especially since you are a fan of the Dragonlance books, I'm cutting you some slack.

Now you just have to work on trimming that "little bit of country" part off your music list and you will be ok.

In all seriousness, your recipe is really just the same as the Apfelwein recipe. Cheap and easy to make and a legit beverage if done right. Just ask yourself if you are doing this for a tasty beverage, or to show how ghetto you really can be. Be truthful now, the Internet is watching.
Haha, yeah, I'll work on the country music thing. And the point of the Apfelwein is because I really do love fermenting things. I don't pride myself on being too particularly ghetto ( I had some neighbors make some stuff in a bucket, no airlock, cleaning/sanitizing, that is what I call ghetto). It is small scale and cheap to do as well. Definitely in my miserably poor budget.

Quick Reply