Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Recycled Cuisinart Motor for Mill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
NiteOwlBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recycled Cuisinart Motor for Mill?

So, I've had a 7cup Cuisinart for years and the safety mechanism broke. Well, my mother replaced it with a larger unit for Xmas last year. I decided I'd try to override the safety by bypassing the switch just for fun. I got into it and its a large fookin' motor unit. Might this work for a mill, properly reduced? I've hit the sauce a bit, so forgive me. Issues appear to be a capacitor to start (no biggie to me) and a relay of sorts that has me a bit confused/worried. Would you think a relay necessary at this (says 5amp max) current? There are three wires entering the motor: 1 is white and goes from plug to motor, I'm saying neutral, 2 is a yellow that comes from the relay and is coupled to an input on an apparent relay (other wires are spliced from hot and one entering motor) and 3 into the motor is a blue output from the apparent relay.

Big question, do I need to take the relay with me on this venture? Bigger question, will this motor be able to start with grain on the rollers of a common mill? I think I can get the pulleys to make this work at grainger, no? Anybody's input is appreciated. If this won't work, there may soon be a thread, "...so my father-in-law bought this electric lawnmower, can it work with a mill"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4884 Times on 4471 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Might be possible. Yes, sheaves and pulleys can be had from Grainger. The real question is what are the RPM's of the motor (at what voltage) and what is the torque rating.

I used a trolling motor for mine.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
NiteOwlBrewing
Recipes 

120v/60Hz for sure. The model number doesn't come back with much other than its Chinese and thermally protected. 180W is listed on the side of it as well as ECM E167360(A) and CB-251200-21S01(-3) and 5242T.P.

Quick Reply