Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > New brewer looking for some DIY input/opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
JeffoC6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

Default New brewer looking for some DIY input/opinions

Hi all...

Just a brief background as to what type of brewer I am at the moment. I'm doing AG 1-gallon batches due to my living space. I realize that 5 gallon batches don't take up that much more room, etc. etc., but the simple fact is, 1-gallon batches are what I'm doing now, and in the foreseeable future.

With that said, I'm starting to look ahead at the spring/summer season. My fiance adores the warm weather, so we don't really turn on the AC until things get HOT. Our place will normally be around 75-80 during a typical spring/summer day. Obviously, not ideal fermentation temps.

I was in my parents' garage the other day and noticed that they still have my brothers' refrigerator from college. I asked about it and they told me that if I wanted it, it's mine. Here's the exact same fridge (pics) that's in their garage:

http://www.fasttrackauction.net/cgi-...asttrack1155/4

I know the short answer is "yes," I want this to use as a fermentation chamber. But, having absolutely no DIY experience, or any type of "handyman" experience. How big of a project would this be for me to undertake? I tried to look around on the web to see what people do, and while I (sort of) understand, I'm not so sure I have the ability to modify something like this, but am willing to try for the sake of stable fermentation temps in the spring/summer.

Would love to get some opinions of some more experienced DIY'ers....Thanks a bunch!

~Jeff

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If you are still only planning on doing a 1 gallon batch, simply buy a pre wired temperature controller from a home brew shop, or only home brew shop, plug it into the wall, set the temperature you want, and plug the fridge into it. You can drill a hole through the side or top to slip the temperature probe in, but most of the time the wires for the probe are small enough for you to just close the door over them.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
If you are still only planning on doing a 1 gallon batch, simply buy a pre wired temperature controller from a home brew shop, or only home brew shop, plug it into the wall, set the temperature you want, and plug the fridge into it. You can drill a hole through the side or top to slip the temperature probe in, but most of the time the wires for the probe are small enough for you to just close the door over them.
That'd probably be the way to go. I'm wondering though, how will I fit my blowoff tube and carboy in the fridge at the same time?

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

once the removable shelving comes out you'll have plenty of space.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129
once the removable shelving comes out you'll have plenty of space.
I'd imagine this is correct, that doesn't appear to be a small fridge. My only worry about it actually would be the fact that it appears to be a fridge and freezer. If that's the case, you will have to figure out if the cooling is done separately or it cools the freezer, and ducts air into the fridge. If the latter, use the freezer as the fermentation chamber IMO since it'll get cooler faster. Save some energy.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
evwoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is my opinion. DIY is not about doing it right the first time. DIY is about attempting to fulfill your need without getting something purpose built by some big supplier.

Have confidence in yourself and go for it. You will be proud of yourself when the project is completed.

On to notes of the task at hand-

Turn the thing on and put a temp gauge in the freezer and fridge at the warmest possible settings, you may have lagering in your future.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts

Check out this link. There is a s%it ton of info in there to build a temperature controller. It is a lot of information, but the first post of the thread explains pretty much everything that a guy needs to know - the rest of the thread is not relatively important unless you want to modify the controller in any way. Just make sure you get the correct controller: STC-1000 in 110V.

As mentioned above, go for it, and don't be afraid to DIY. The temp controller needs minimal tools, and all the parts - with exception the controller itself - can be obtained at lowes or home depot and radio shack. I think I used a drill and a jig saw, a screwdriver and that was about it. Super easy. I use mine for my kegerator/fermentation chamber. Life is good!

Anyways, here is the link. If you have any other questions, let us know!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-build-163849/

Ryan M.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I'm going to experiment a little bit with the fridge first. If it can achieve the temps I'm looking for, I'm going to take it. Then we'll go from there.

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Very annoyed. I just realized that the utility closet that I was going to put this fridge in has absolutely NO outlets in it. Seriously? Ironically enough, the circuit box is in the same closet. So now I've got to get a damn outlet installed.

Planned:
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:

Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
evwoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess most people just don't think to use electrical appliances in a closet? I wonder how warm the closet is going to be with the fridge on.

If you know any handymen I am sure they will install a outlet for cheap, it really is a very small job.

Quick Reply