Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Need wine rack ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
captianoats
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Default Need wine rack ideas

OK, so here's the deal. In my quest to never have empty fermenters, I started making some wines along with my beer, and I really enjoy doing both now. That being said, I've got 8 gallons of wine already bottled, and at least another 20 gallons in carboys just waiting on me to find enough empty bottles to finish those as well.

Now I need a wine rack, one that holds a LOT of wine bottles. I have a few woodworking tools (circular saw, band saw, chop saw, table saw, along w/ sanders, drills, etc.) but I have more tools than money or time. Does anyone know of some wine bottle storage plans that will hold at least a couple hundred bottles, but not blow my budget and be able to finish in a weekend? Looking nice is a plus, but not necessary since I have a cellar that I do all of my brewing in. I've tried doing searches, but "wine" and "rack" brings up way too much stuff since you rack your wine when you make it.

Thanks in advance.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" --George Carlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Tubes work well in a pinch if you don't need it to be pretty. Either PVC or for even cheaper you can use cardboard. Get ones just a little bigger around than your bottles, cut them to length and mount them so they slope backwards just a few degrees.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
splifs
Recipes 

I'll second that PVC suggestion, have a friend who did one wall of their basement in them

Keg 1 - Sweet Wheat
Keg 2 - SWMBO Slayer
Keg 3 - Ed Worts Apfelwein
Keg 4 - empty
Keg 5 - empty
Keg 6 - empty

Bottled - Oatmeal Stout

Up next - Soul stripper IPA or Dogfish 60min clone

Old 10-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you are just looking for total utilitarian wine storage take 4 2"x3" uprights, 1" x 2" crossbars (should be good for about a 4' span). Take a large forstner bit or holesaw and drill a hole that takes off about 1/4" of the cross bars that will hold the wine (front and back cross bar, the small dip you cut will be enough to hold the bottles in place but not remove enough to weaken the crossbar much). Not pretty, but holds the wine fine for storage. I used #10 wood screws to hold it together. Quick and dirty.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
Beer-me
Recipes 

For a quick and easy wine rack just make a cube. A 12 foot 2x10 will make a stackable 2'x2 cube with dividers to hold about 40 bottles each.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

These are what I'm planning on building this winter, actually fairly simple looking to build and modular, look nice too

http://woodworking.about.com/od/wood...s/wineRack.htm

fullrack.jpg  

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 10-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
Beer-me
Recipes 

Oops my post above I ment to say use a 1x12.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Two of these, plus about 30 bottles of vintage wine only cost me $75 on craigslist.

Just keep looking. Not sure how far Jasper is from Chicago, but search chicago craigslist there are tons of racks for cheap.
I know you're looking for DIY - but you couldn't even buy the wood for that price and it would be less time to go pickup than to build.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
farrout
Recipes 

WHATTTT? $75 bucks damn man that is a steal.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I paid $75 for the first one with a breezaire unit that needs freon. Then they call me a couple weeks later and say are you interested in the other one too? (working unit) I say depends how much - they say just come get it. They were moving into a smaller 1800's home where it wouldn't fit. While I'm strapping it to my truck they come out and ask if I'd want some of the wine they don't want to take with them. I googled every bottle and figure I'm at about $1500 in wine. Makes me wonder about the bottles they took with them.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Quick Reply