Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #651
Beezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Yep mine looks a bit off when not grinding but it still does a great job. Last brew I mentioned 78% eff. Yesterdays brew = 77.5% eff. Corona kicking butt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #652
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
Yep mine looks a bit off when not grinding but it still does a great job. Last brew I mentioned 78% eff. Yesterdays brew = 77.5% eff. Corona kicking butt.
And the results are all that matters. Yes, the Corona-type mill is made quite a bit more crudely than machinery we're used to. But, yes, it also works, and works just fine.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #653
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

mine was a victoria- red box edition. the only tweeks i had to make were the washers to get more adjustability, and a homeade cardboard shim on the tailshaft. gettin 80-83 every grind. id try another crank beezy see if you can get more efficiency. I have also found that slower is waaaay better at least on my rig. the true test coming up in 3 weeks 34lb for 1 brew session. 3 beers.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #654
Beezy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchuklobrau
mine was a victoria- red box edition. the only tweeks i had to make were the washers to get more adjustability, and a homeade cardboard shim on the tailshaft. gettin 80-83 every grind. id try another crank beezy see if you can get more efficiency. I have also found that slower is waaaay better at least on my rig. the true test coming up in 3 weeks 34lb for 1 brew session. 3 beers.
I could crank it down a bit more I think but I am not sure I need that much more eff since most recipes I see go with 75%.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #655
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 122

this picture was just awesome and needed to get posted here

Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #656
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Here is my ugly junk

Its a 5 gallon water bottle on a wooden base with a phil mill underneath powered by an electric drill. The hopper holds 21 pounds of grain and I can go through it in about 5 minutes.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #657
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
Its a 5 gallon water bottle on a wooden base with a phil mill underneath powered by an electric drill. The hopper holds 21 pounds of grain and I can go through it in about 5 minutes.
Meh, it's waaaaaaay too pretty to be considered ugly junk.

Looks good!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #658
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Three bucket system!

Introducing the Three Bucket System!

Yes - that's right. I'm blatantly ripping off Revvy and Wilsenbrewer (among many others), adding a slight tweak, and calling it a brand new version. Look out patent office - here I come!

When measuring out my grains, I dump into a Homer bucket. I then dump that into the water cooler bottle. I then set down the bucket as a rest / holder for my drill (because yes... I AM that lazy). The height works out perfectly. (Yes, I errrr... was planning for that work out). Once milling is done I switch out the "catch" bucket for the "holder" bucket. This keeps things neat and tidy while I brew. When done I slap the "catch" bucket on the bottom of the rig and it's good to go. Now if I could only get the water bottle tucked INTO the buckets with the lid on top that would be fantastic in my small basement.

One thing I love about the wood spacers idea someone had is that I can bring the handle for the bottom bucket up and it rests right on top of the spacer. That way I can use the handle for the top bucket to carry the primary system around since the catch bucket is "locked in". My blocks are just over 2" high.

wp_000450.jpg  

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 07-31-2011, 01:06 AM   #659
ryclo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

holy crap, I just hand cranked 14 lbs with my new mill... now I truely have sweat in my next beer! Great looking grind though!

Old 07-31-2011, 01:34 AM   #660
Beezy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclo
holy crap, I just hand cranked 14 lbs with my new mill... now I truely have sweat in my next beer! Great looking grind though!
You must have a desk job lol. I am a work smart not hard kinda guy but I am not buying a slow drill just for milling grain.

Quick Reply