Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 AM   #21
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
once you set the gap with some washers you use the nut in front to tighten the plates together. The wingnut then locks it in position. Play around with it. I was using it for a year or so and getting 60% efficiency. On a whim I tightened the nut up a bit when milling one day. That batch I had 70% efficiency!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Thanks!!!

I got what looked like a decent crush on the batch I brewed with it yesterday and I hot the FG dead on...

WDC, my understanding is that even though it gets trashed a lot by the rolling mill diehards, the corona, prokert and other mills make great beer with some fiddling and tweaking...and like I said earlier I heard an old basic brewing podcast with Charlie Papazian, and he likes his, and gets great efficiency...In fact at the time of the interview he had just discovered rice hulls, and had started throwing a handfull or two in with his grain.

I figure if it works out, then I'd save the 200 bucks I would spend on a roller mill for grain, and stuff...

That's the F'ing with it I was talking about

They come with instructions???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 AM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
That's the F'ing with it I was talking about

They come with instructions???
I know that's what you were referring to, that's why I'm trying to figure out how to f with mine....

um maybe not instructions but a parts list so I don't keep calling that big thing in the front the "wing nut thingamajig."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 02:25 AM   #23
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm. The only thing I had to do to mine was you put two washers in between the grinder and the frame. That sets the width nicely. I hit 75+, and I'm an effin noob at AG.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #24
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Thanks for the tip about the washers. I have been adjusting the mill several times over the course of the grinding. This sounds like just the fix. I was already planning on hitting the True Value tomorrow to get the drill fittings to go power on the mill.

I ground up 10 lbs yesterday by hand. While I was doing it I decided that it was the last time.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

RRJLind Likes This 
Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 AM   #25
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Thanks for the tip about the washers. I have been adjusting the mill several times over the course of the grinding. This sounds like just the fix. I was already planning on hitting the True Value tomorrow to get the drill fittings to go power on the mill.

I ground up 10 lbs yesterday by hand. While I was doing it I decided that it was the last time.
There's a couple of threads on here that they recommended the washers...or even little nylon spacers...

Wow cranking 10 pounds..I dub thee arms of steel!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 AM   #26
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Wow cranking 10 pounds..I dub thee arms of steel!
Heck, tweren't nothin. A few weeks back I did 17 pounds for my Belgian Strong.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #27
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

have you guys thought about mic the washers to find the proper spacing? granted more involved such as plate ware and all but might be a good start for people. maybe even looking at using spacer shims for better settings? look on mcmaster carr for shim stock.

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 11-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #28
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
Nice job oh ye great craftsman............

Are you dis'n my artistic woodworking abilities

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #29
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen25 View Post
have you guys thought about mic the washers to find the proper spacing? granted more involved such as plate ware and all but might be a good start for people. maybe even looking at using spacer shims for better settings? look on mcmaster carr for shim stock.

Although I put them on mine years ago on advise from another site, I doubt if I really need it because the mill is adjustable by the screw through the wing nut. But as mine is set to a good crush for me, I don't want to fart with it.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #30
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Corona Mill Bucket Mount V. 1.0

I like my mill mounted permanently to the bucket. Once the grain is milled, remove hopper and drill,
and dump the grain out the front of the bucket. A small scrap of 2X4and six drywall screws are all
that's required.

wilserbrewer BIAB Bags, Hop Bags and Ratchet Pulleys for sale
Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

MuddyCreek Likes This 

Quick Reply