Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
hey, looks fairly familiar
(post picture here of mine when sober enough to take one)

Only my hopper will hold up to 20 or so lb. of grains. It is a former water cooler jug attached to a quaker oats tub with duct tape of course...

My only advice. Make your shield (folgers can) go a little higher. Depending on your drill you will have a lot of grain fly out of there. I have been using a corded drill lately and the grain flies. Seems to have boosted my efficiency too...
I've seen some with water jugs hoppers...I was going to go that route when I saw the nifty choo choo train looking thing, and thought that would be good enough...I thought a larger hopper full of grains woul be too top heavy.

I'm thinking of putting an over shield on top of the folger's can to totally encase the front of it...until then I'll just cover with a bag...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I must get a camera. Mine makes yours look store made.
My middle name should be cheap

Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #13
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
I must get a camera. Mine makes yours look store made.
My middle name should be cheap
Oh so you're saying your junk is fuglier than mine????

Bring it ON!!!!!!!

I hereby dub this the ugliest milling station thread...

Sadly living here I no longer have a ton of "junk" to cobble stuff together with..I used to have an entire spare bedroom piled hight with "Parts" and that was before I discovered this hobby...I keep thinking about all the stuff I used to accumulate...some if it may have come in handy in brewing...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #14
Otis The Drunk
Recipes 

Nice, I'm going to have to look into doing just like you guys are doing.... I've been using a corona mill for close to 20 years and regularly get between 75% - 80% efficiency.

Currently in Primary: zip
Currently in Secondary: Dry Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Not a Thing
Drinking: Run of the mill Pale Ale
What's Next: Lake Walk Pale Ale

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished

Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 AM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis The Drunk View Post
Nice, I'm going to have to look into doing just like you guys are doing.... I've been using a corona mill for close to 20 years and regularly get between 75% - 80% efficiency.
How do you use yours? Yesterday was the first time I used mine and knew half way through the grain, that I needed to rig something a little more stable up...hence the...oh geez, I need to name it or something don't I?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #16
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis The Drunk View Post
I get 83% every time(after a year of F'ing with it)
Mine is a bucket( with the bottom cut out and a slot on top for the 1x2 that holds the mill) in another bucket with a large kitchen garbage bag wrapped around the mill to stop the grain from flying

Old 11-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
I get 83% every time(after a year of F'ing with it)
I'm glad you mentioned this...But mine didn't come with instructions or a parts list...so I can't figure out how to "f" with it....how to set the gap...

I followed suggestions on here about putting some washers on the two fasteners that hold the front plate on....but just what does this big wing nut thingy in the front do?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
WDC
Recipes 

Nice setup Revvy. You've convinced me it is possible to switch to uncrushed bulk grain without going into debt. I think I can ... I think I can...

Reason: I can't spell. Even a little.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:24 AM   #19
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

once you set the gap with some washers you use the nut in front to tighten the plates together. The wingnut then locks it in position. Play around with it. I was using it for a year or so and getting 60% efficiency. On a whim I tightened the nut up a bit when milling one day. That batch I had 70% efficiency!

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 AM   #20
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
once you set the gap with some washers you use the nut in front to tighten the plates together. The wingnut then locks it in position. Play around with it. I was using it for a year or so and getting 60% efficiency. On a whim I tightened the nut up a bit when milling one day. That batch I had 70% efficiency!
Thanks!!!

I got what looked like a decent crush on the batch I brewed with it yesterday and I hot the FG dead on...

WDC, my understanding is that even though it gets trashed a lot by the rolling mill diehards, the corona, prokert and other mills make great beer with some fiddling and tweaking...and like I said earlier I heard an old basic brewing podcast with Charlie Papazian, and he likes his, and gets great efficiency...In fact at the time of the interview he had just discovered rice hulls, and had started throwing a handfull or two in with his grain.

I figure if it works out, then I'd save the 200 bucks I would spend on a roller mill for grain, and stuff...

Quick Reply