Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #1381
sethlovex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I got my mill second hand and the guy had already replaced the hand crank with a bolt for drilling. I wanted to dial in the crush without spraying grain everywhere so I put the hand crank back on...well, I liked it so much that I never went back to the drill. I can grind 5 lbs in about 10 minutes working at a nice, easy pace. Not saying its better than a drill, but you should at least try it once before you go to the drill...plus you get to tone your pipes. And you still have one hand free for a Homebrew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #1382
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I've done several batches by hand. Hell of a lot of work. Too lazy for that non-sense

Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #1383
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
Thanks for the links. It would be nice if HF included an RPM value, but I have come not to expect too much from them haha. It would be great if I could pick up a drill that maxes out at an optimal grind speed. I will stop by HF and check out those drills for sure. My Craftsman drill has been great up until now, I would hate to kill it.
Sometimes you have to look in the manual (downloadable as a PDF from the individual product page). From BeardedIdiot's links the spade handle drill is 0-550 RPM and the other one he linked to is 0-1,000 RPM.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #1384
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
Thanks for the links. It would be nice if HF included an RPM value, but I have come not to expect too much from them haha. It would be great if I could pick up a drill that maxes out at an optimal grind speed. I will stop by HF and check out those drills for sure. My Craftsman drill has been great up until now, I would hate to kill it.
I have the HF D-Handle drill with removable t-grip as well. I believe it goes up to 500RPM. I find that I need to run it just above the minimum or the drill seems to be struggling a bit. I'm consistent with efficiency, although my runoffs get slow at times. It's one of those "is it broke? Should I fix it?" type of deals for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #1385
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
Yeah. I like DIY but I have a limited set of tools, both physical and mental. The only issue with the corona mill I forsee is building a hopper/base set up that is contained and easily stored.

There was a mill on here somewhere that was attached tot he top of a rubbermaid bin and it closed up all nice and looked clean. I would like to achieve that with the corona mill... but howww...
The two bucket system works really well, is easy to do, and if you can get buckets from your grocery store bakery, almost free!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #1386
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My top I made out of wood was really easy for me to make, took less than 15 min and looks nice (not the goal of this thread).

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #1387
daveb1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

Thanks for the tips... Plan on using mine soon.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #1388
tony579
Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 178 Posts

Got my discount Tommy mill via an amazon gift card with free shipping. Couldn't wait to use it, so I ground the grains for Revvy's Kiss Your Cousin. Took 15 min. by hand and that was with my 4 yr old helping. I figure without the help I could get it down to 10. I love this ugly junk!

"So it goes..."

Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #1389
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony579 View Post
Got my discount Tommy mill via an amazon gift card with free shipping. Couldn't wait to use it, so I ground the grains for Revvy's Kiss Your Cousin. Took 15 min. by hand and that was with my 4 yr old helping. I figure without the help I could get it down to 10. I love this ugly junk!
Wow you're killing two thread with one ugly junk or something.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #1390
tony579
Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 178 Posts

Hit 77% with my first crack at using the corona. I can't believe that something this cheap and easy is this effective. Thanks for all the info from this thread.

"So it goes..."

Quick Reply