Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Motorized Grain Mills: Time to show them off!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #201
brewyourown4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default b.c. build first half of vid

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #202
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyled93

So it may take longer, but 85 rpm ought to be fine?

As far as the torque the conversion from 90 N*m to ft lbs it's approximately 66 ft.lbs.

I assume that should be sufficient for a MM3?
Yeah I got the ft.lb conversion and I know what pulling that on a torque wrench feels like. Comparing that to a pull on a hand crank for a mill doesn't even compare. A normal person would be spent in just a few rounds. I was trying to find a required torque instead of a recommended HP. Somebody that knew what they are doing might could convert N*m or ft.lbs to ft.lb/hr to HP. I was just trying to figure how much you could overdrive.

Short answer: 66 ft.lbs is a gracious plenty. And 85rpm while a bit slow will crush just fine.

I've been thinking about how to attach a torque wrench to my MM3 input shaft. Maybe I have a broken drill chuck somewhere? If I do I'll load up some wheat and give out some numbers.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #203
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
After looking at the Hoppopotomus set-up I'm embarrassed to show the rest of mine. That's the stuff I dream about. Great job!

Anyway, here's my project ready to do some work. Made the coupling for between the gearmotor and mill. Had to change the electric enclosure to a Radio Shack project box. The large capacitor wouldn't fit in the small box. The upper switch is the on/off. The lower is forward/reverse incase it gets jammed.

Edit to add the crush picture with gap set at about .038. Looks pretty good to me.

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment! Your's is much better built than mine for sure. I'm just using a simple Barley Crusher mill with a big azz 12" pulley on the mill and an old GE 1/3 hp motor (1725 rpm) with a 1 1/2" pulley to get my rpms down to 215 ish. I just hid everything in a cabinet dressed with knotty pine, cedar logs, and stone tops to match my other brewing related projects. It's just lipstick on a pig!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #204
ong
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla

Nice! I've been wanting to build my own mill but roller mills are so damn expensive. How well does that work? I've been wondering if I could power a corona mill with the clothes drier motor I have.
It works... OK? I'm sure it doesn't compare to a roller mill, but for BIAB where I'm not worried about stuck sparges, it's fine! It definitely takes quite a bit of torque, especially on the cornmeal like crush setting I've been using.

It's a old US made mill that I bought on eBay for about 20 bucks shipped. The drill is a crappy harbor freight number that I've had sitting around for a few years. For that price, I'm not complaining. The drill smokes like crazy and stinks up the house, but I'm about to stink up the house with wort anyhow, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #205
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 34

ong
If your drill is smoking and "stinking up the house" there is something wrong! Please don't risk catching it, yourself, or your house on fire! Drills are cheap. New skin and Houses - not so much...

Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #206
ong
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
ong
If your drill is smoking and "stinking up the house" there is something wrong! Please don't risk catching it, yourself, or your house on fire! Drills are cheap. New skin and Houses - not so much...
Eh, it's just the ineffable magic of disposable Harbor Freight power tools! This drill has smoked since I bought it... Just crappy motor windings. Eventually it will stop working, but it's held out surprisingly long. I had a Cuisinart stick blender that smelled of burning plastic every time I used it, and that lasted 14 years.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #207
Slow_Day
Sophomore Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here is my new mill. MM2 powered by a vintage 1/2" drill. The drill runs about 400 rpm, so I am using a belt drive to reduce to 200 rpm.

Most everything but the mill, one pulley and bronze bushings is made from material I had laying around. The belt tensioner consists of two 2 x 4s, a drill bit and a bronze bushing.

This thing busted through two 11 pound grain bills in the past week. I will probably clean it up a little more, but I am pretty happy with it.

monster-mill-1.jpg   monster-mill-2.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #208
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Vintage drill, yes. Vintage treadle sewing machine base, yes. cool? YES!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #209
dcbc
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Here's mine. Sure beats my old hand crank or drill.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #210
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Looks like the same gear motor I'm using (177rpm 40 in-lbs) except there's a shaft extending out the back of mine. Did you get that from Surplus Center? Got mine quite a while ago. Don't believe they have it anymore.

Billy-Klubb

Quick Reply