Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Motor wiring confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #21
triethylborane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Maybe. Depends on the type of DPDT. If you went with one that had a detent, then it would be a matter of pushing the lever up and into the detent. Stopping the motor would be flicking the lever out of the detent and the lever would automatically return to off. There are other styles of locking DPDT. It is a safeguard for your engine and for you, but holding it could be tedious (I dunno how long it would take to mill whatever amount you are shooting for).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #22
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

ubermick,

Well I messed with your wiring diagram and hope that it provides some help to you.

The motor you are dealing with has a centrifigal switch inside of it that switches out the start winding once it comes up to speed. This requires you to power it down to reverse it. The motor must come to a complete stop before doing so.

The diagram shows 2 switches: Main power and a reverse switch. The reverse switch is a Double Pole Double Throw unit.

I sure hope it helps you.

EDIT: BTW - The wiring diagram that you referenced in your opening post (From LamaBrewery) was originally drawn by me a bunch of years ago.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #23
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
The motor you are dealing with has a centrifigal switch inside of it that switches out the start winding once it comes up to speed.
Are you sure this is a split phase motor that has the centrifugal internal switch? It was my understanding that if that were the case, then the motor would not need a start capacitor and the label in the first pic clearly states that it's a capacitor start type motor. You are probably correct and more knowledgeable about these motors than I am, but I've motorized mills with one of each motor type recently, so I'm somewhat familiar with them.

I opted not to wire mine up for reverse operation mostly out of concern that the reverse switch might be inadvertently thrown while the motor was operating and cause some damage. I've also never had a need to reverse it.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #24
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Are you sure this is a split phase motor that has the centrifugal internal switch? It was my understanding that if that were the case, then the motor would not need a start capacitor and the label in the first pic clearly states that it's a capacitor start type motor. ~~~
Yes, I checked the Grainger site. That motor has a replacement parts list which includes the centrifigal switch. The start cap is also required with this particular motor. It provides the phase offset to establish the startup torque.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That diagram helps a lot, P-J - thanks. Ricand was telling me the exact same thing via email, but being not that bright, a picture's worth a thousand words to me.

I think I'll be putting the reverse switch somewhere out of the way, where there's the least amount of chance it'll get thrown accidentally. Probably recess it, and put a cover over it.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #26
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
That diagram helps a lot, P-J - thanks. Ricand was telling me the exact same thing via email, but being not that bright, a picture's worth a thousand words to me.

I think I'll be putting the reverse switch somewhere out of the way, where there's the least amount of chance it'll get thrown accidentally. Probably recess it, and put a cover over it.
You are welcome.

Actually you don't have to worry about the reverse switch. If you flip it while the motor is running, nothing will happen on This motor as the start winding is disabled by the centrifigal swich inside the motor when it is running. It will however run in reverse on the next power up.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #27
ubermick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
You are welcome.

Actually you don't have to worry about the reverse switch. If you flip it while the motor is running, nothing will happen on This motor as the start winding is disabled by the centrifigal swich inside the motor when it is running. It will however run in reverse on the next power up.

Hope this makes sense.
Well, that works out nicely!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #28
ubermick
Recipes 

Thank to all for the outstanding help on this. Here's the final result, with everything working excellently:

Old 07-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #29
P-J
Recipes 

Excellent.!!
I just hope my diagram was of some help to you.

Quick Reply