Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Monster mill cordless drill driver or AC motor drive?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
treeak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Monster mill cordless drill driver or AC motor drive?

Good Morning.
I recieved my monster mill 2.0 a couple of days ago. I have it put together and i bought feeler gauges last night. I ran a cup full of barley through the thing to help knock off the metal shavings etc. nice crush! i am impressed. I have been reading various posts and i plan on using my dewalt 18V cordless to drive this thing. I see quite a few people make a stand and do an electric motor-pulley set up. Won't the cordless do fine in the mean time? I did see that u have to set the clutch up high and its a good idea to make sure it is turning before you dump the grain. So is it the point of just making a cool contraption to have it hooked to an AC motor system? no changing of batteries?, hands free?, torque? Did you guys start out using a cordless or corded drill and then see a necessity to build the mill station?

Thanks,
Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Save your money for other nice stuff. With that said, did you buy the hopper and base they sell? I did and I love it.....dedicate a bucket, place the mill ontop, connect your drill and mill away. I have milled 35lbs with this thing and my drill bever skipped a beat. No need to start before the grain hits...its torquey enough...jst make sure the clutch on the drill is locked.

Good Luck

Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

My cordless doesn't have enough torque to crank my mill. I have milled all my grain by hand for the last couple of years.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
treeak
Recipes 

yeah i bought the 7lb hopper and the base. I am a finish carpenter by trade. I could have and would have enjoyed making the hopper myself. For the price, i couldnt pass up the convienience. I wanted to assemble it and start a grain bill and get brewing. I have a bunch of solid surface drops (sink cut-outs) that i may redo the base later. I was just impressed at the crush and i want to get after it tonight maybe.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I'm sure there are many different variants -

I started with the hand crank. Then the cordless. Then the corded. Then the gear motor.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I just picked up a Crankandstein 2A. Instead of using my new 18v Makita cordless I got for Christmas, I went ahead and picked up this drill. I don't normally buy el cheapo tools, but this one came recommended by several people on HBT, plus the reviews on the site were pretty good. When I emailed C&D about the speed that I should run the mill at, they suggested around 300RPM or less. Since this drill has plenty of torque and maxes out at 550RPM, I think it should do the trick. Plus I found a coupon code for 20% off.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Torque on cordless drills tends to vary with battery age, charge, drill age and other things, I think you will find a corded drill to be the least that you want. A dedicated motor is a wonderful thing, but certainly not a requirement. Luck to you.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
VegasBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

my LHBS uses a ryobi 18v cordless, works fine

VB

Old 02-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheGreat View Post
I just picked up a Crankandstein 2A. Instead of using my new 18v Makita cordless I got for Christmas, I went ahead and picked up this drill. I don't normally buy el cheapo tools, but this one came recommended by several people on HBT, plus the reviews on the site were pretty good. When I emailed C&D about the speed that I should run the mill at, they suggested around 300RPM or less. Since this drill has plenty of torque and maxes out at 550RPM, I think it should do the trick. Plus I found a coupon code for 20% off.
I received a Monster Mill 3 roller with base and hopper for christmas. The mill works great but I coulden't get my cordless to turn it. i bought that same drill at Harbor Freight last weekend. It works great, plenty of torque. I want to buy one of those surplus low RPM motors though for a permenant mount

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Old 02-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

got the same drill for my MM 3.0

My hop stopper