Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Keg Lathe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #21
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I second the freehand deal, following a scribed layout line. I used a 5 gallon pail and a sharpie.

What does a perfectly shaped and sized opening actually gain you for the task that you use the keggle for?

All that is necessary is an opening that you may or may not need to find a stock pot cover to fit.

Hand driving a keg to revolve (maybe 10 rpm's?) so that a high speed steel lathe tool bit held in a cheap bench vise can scratch away at the toughness of a 304 stainless keg is so totally time consuming and cumbersome as to be absurd.

And what of the accompanying dings and dents inherent in most commercial kegs? So much for the hours of setup of 'lathe' and 'machining' since the dents will transfer into the finished cut....

A 1/16" cut off disk on a high speed air die grinder for me, free-handed-maybe 5 mins...and maybe 2 mins with file to suit, as needed.

I've got other things that I have to spend time on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #22
brewhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

our club came up with a different design for cutting kegs.

>remove the spear from the keg
>we have a jig that fits in the spear hole and one end houses a diegrinder. much like a compass set up
>locate the diameter you desire and lock the die grinder into the compass housing
>proceed to cut

debur and away you go - perfect cuts every time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS