I need some design help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bueschen

Reaction score
OK, so I just put together my new cabinets. They hold my brewing equipment and my keg fridge. SWMBO would rather I not have any tap handles sticking off the front or even a tower sticking out of the top as this sits in the dining room which is quite visible to the living room of our smallish apt.
So with a clean look as our goal, I need some ideas from the clever collective as to what I might possibly do to dispense my liquid joy and yet still stay on the good side of the better half.
Here are some pics of what I have to work with:

KF.jpg

KF1.jpg

KF2.jpg

How about a cabinet on the top to hide the taps? You can store some glasses in there also. Just open the door to get a beer, but it will still hide the taps.

Use a tower then cut the bottom out of a big vase, and slide it over the tower. When you want to serve beer, you can be the magician that pulls a beer faucet from a Ming.

Thanks for the quick replies! I like the vase idea Sharona!
I do like the cabinet on top idea as well, I was kinda thinking a cover of some sort hiding the faucets would be the easiest.
Thanks again all!

I think I would cut the top to hinge up like a chest/coffin. Then build box to mount to the underside of the "lid" that would hold your faucets. This way if you were hosting a party the lid could stay up for the party but for everyday show the taps would be hidden inside cabinet.

I think the small space between the top of your fridge and the wood for the top would be a decent spot from the pics you provided.

Be sure to re-finish the edges after you cut them to match/blend with the rest of the color.

I'm guessing this is too simple but can you just put the faucet coming out the side? It looks like it would be hid pretty well in the corner. If you're storing the CO2 tank there, a faucet can't hurt.

I was thinking of something like the vase idea but with the back 1/3 or so removed. That way you can just spin it around to expose the tap. Spin it back and it's hidden. No lifting up and down (which could potentially get caught on the handle, making a mess).

What about a trap door on top that you can lift open and have a picnic tap hidden? Or better yet, have a button that opens it and lifts a tower up.

More great suggestions! I think I am leaning towards mounting the taps out the side and then making a hinged panel to mount in front of them but it could swing out of the way for use. I'll post some pics when I get it sussed out! Thanks again for all the input!

I would just mount a tap on the inside of the fridge door with long enough hose lines. You could even put a drip tray bellow it. No difference from the outside, but open the door and Viola, beer on tap.

I say tap as in decent silver or chrome finished tap, not just a picnic tap since those tend to be messy as hell.

I would make a section like a secretary door on a roll up cover of wood. The unit would show the wood cover when not in use. Open up roll up wooden section that slides in a groove and you have your taps and drip tray showing. It would be a sleeper!! The side area could be used for glass storage.

So I decided to try mounting two taps inside the fridge to see how I liked it. I just made a temporary three sided box out of some wood I had in the garage. I Think it might work okay.
The bottom is open so I can neatly coil the extra beer line inside the box. I'll try it out for a bit and if I like it then maybe I'll make something a bit more permanent with a nice finish.
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

KF3.jpg

bueschen said:
So I decided to try mounting two taps inside the fridge to see how I liked it. I just made a temporary three sided box out of some wood I had in the garage. I Think it might work okay.
The bottom is open so I can neatly coil the extra beer line inside the box. I'll try it out for a bit and if I like it then maybe I'll make something a bit more permanent with a nice finish.
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

That looks awesome man, even unfinished. I think that's a great solution

Thanks chinkson. I plan to mount the manifold to the box as well so hopefully the end result is a good clean look.

Latest posts

Back