Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Hopster Hopscreen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #91
Biscostew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BSD would you mind listing the McMaster Carr parts numbers?

Check out my blog Lionheart Brewing for homebrew recipes other beer related thoughts or follow me on twitter @LionheartBeer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #92
BSD_Glass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default part numbers

the mcmaster number is 85385T519 for the screen.

For the rivets, I bought close stainless rivets by arrow at my local hardware store.

the ring is Paderno World Cuisine 9 1/2 Inch by 3/4 Inch Tart Pastry Ring from amazon

I also needed a box of 100 #6 stainless washers to back the rivets going through the screen where there was no pastry ring.

I used (3) 6" by 1/4"-20 bolts I had laying around and some 1/4" nuts (2 per bolt) that I also had laying around.

I guess I also bought a 1/8" and a 3/8 cobalt bit for various stainless drilling projects and used those on this project.

Cheers. I'm trying mine out Friday. 20 ounces of hops in a 10 gallon batch. Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Nugget all whole leaf. I'll throw in some Amarillo pellets to sub for the pearl leaf I used last time and to test it against pellets.

I'll take pics.

BSD

Old 12-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #93
BSD_Glass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Hopster in use!

I used the screen yesterday in a 11 gallon heavy hop IPA. There were 12 ounces of leaf hops and 2 ounces of pellet hops.

With this full kettle of wort, I think I had over 4 gallons of space inside the hopster for stuff to move around. I had about 13 gallons pre-boil.

The hops were almost fully contained. I couldn't see ANY green in the protein and stuff left at the bottom of the keggle. The screen drained wort at the same rate as the rest of the kettle. I didn't have the amount of movement I would prefer in the screen after I added hops, but there was some movement. For the last 20 minutes, I recirculated through the screen to make sure I got good utilization on my later additions.

Clean up was easy. Dump the hops and spray it out.

I'm pretty pleased and think this is going to work out for a long time.

BSD

kettle_trub.jpg   first_hops1.jpg   draining_hops.jpg  

Old 12-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #94
jusware
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That my good man is a thing of beauty! PS: that's the same thing the ladies tell me

Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #95
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So it looks like we still haven't nailed down the mesh size for all pellet IPA brews. If people have please let me know, I am looking at doing a full sized pot liner. Making an entire basket to line the kettle. More surface area and a free boil. Also Will accommodate my immersion chiller. Will be $$ for the mesh, but worth it I think...

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #96
Sudz
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
So it looks like we still haven't nailed down the mesh size for all pellet IPA brews. If people have please let me know, I am looking at doing a full sized pot liner. Making an entire basket to line the kettle. More surface area and a free boil. Also Will accommodate my immersion chiller. Will be $$ for the mesh, but worth it I think...
My 30 x 30 x .012 appears to keep the pellet hops contained. There was still a significant amount of trub to deal with but no green to be seen and the basket did have a fair amount of hop debris in it when done. No concern about utilization since the wort within the screen was very active during the boil.

The results are in the bottle as we speak. This is the clearest brew I've made in the three years I've been brewing. And this is specifically the fourth batch of this particular brew. I was puzzled by this since there was basically the same amount of trub left behind. Had my doubts about the contribution of the hop spider but not so sure now.

What "may" be occurring is the whirlfloc might be more effective with clearing the protein debris than the hop material. Anyway the brew is mighty clear and I'm anxious to taste the results. A taste of the green brew was very encouraging... A couple of weeks will tell the tale.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #97
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
My 30 x 30 x .012 appears to keep the pellet hops contained. There was still a significant amount of trub to deal with but no green to be seen and the basket did have a fair amount of hop debris in it when done. No concern about utilization since the wort within the screen was very active during the boil.

The results are in the bottle as we speak. This is the clearest brew I've made in the three years I've been brewing. And this is specifically the fourth batch of this particular brew. I was puzzled by this since there was basically the same amount of trub left behind. Had my doubts about the contribution of the hop spider but not so sure now.

What "may" be occurring is the whirlfloc might be more effective with clearing the protein debris than the hop material. Anyway the brew is mighty clear and I'm anxious to taste the results. A taste of the green brew was very encouraging... A couple of weeks will tell the tale.
Maybe I will run with the 30 30 size you have. I made the hop stopper with 3030 I think, but it dodn't stand up to the test IMO. However I do 11G batches and so I guessed that I needed a large hop stopper. Then I thought... maybe the best way to do this is make a full liner for my pot. i.e. 20 diameter x 15 tall so it sits on my element. It might be cost prohibitive, but I am going to look into it.

I will also have to reinforce it etc. to make sure the end product is usable. I have also considered do two stage mesh basket but cost would be $$

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #98
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with the 30 x 30. It will filter the vast majority. I don't have the
30 x 30, I'm 20 x 20 can't remember. I love the way it works. No problems what so ever! I wish I had made one that was a full diameter of the kettle instead of 10". One of the top 5 pieces of equipment I've made or purchased. Post back if you do the build and give us your feedback CidahMastah.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #99
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
I agree with the 30 x 30. It will filter the vast majority. I don't have the
30 x 30, I'm 20 x 20 can't remember. I love the way it works. No problems what so ever! I wish I had made one that was a full diameter of the kettle instead of 10". One of the top 5 pieces of equipment I've made or purchased. Post back if you do the build and give us your feedback CidahMastah.
I definitely will (post if I build one). I missed this becasue I found a steal of a deal on a 60 amp GFI breaker. So my focus when from hopscreen to ... upgrading my control panel so I can run two elements simultaneously!! Just laid out and tacked in the #6AL wiring this morning to my new indoor subpanel. Hoping I will be wired up for indoor brewing by the end of the xmas break!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #100
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What is the cost of constructing this thing?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS