Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Going to make my own grain mill, figured Id see if anyone else needs one!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #101
rustbucket
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

@matt2d

i actually thought of that for my initial process instead of rotating bushings, i was thinking of a slide where on one side of the rod it would have spring pressure to keep spacing and on the other a knob to tighten the gap (this would be for both sides of the housing)

but i decided against that, because over time the springs lose there "k" factor with repeated use, plus it would just be more parts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #102
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthe8track View Post
I own a design and manufacturing company and if I've learned anything in my experience is never try to compete on a cost basis. We in north America can make things better but rarely cheaper. I'd make a better mill but I'd want to sell it for 600 dollars haha.
IIRC the other roller mills are made in the USA. How much would your $600 mill cost to make and how many would you expect to sell for that price? If it was me I would save the extra $400 and put up with having to get out my feeler gauges the every year or so, but thats just me

Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #103
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
@matt2d

i actually thought of that for my initial process instead of rotating bushings, i was thinking of a slide where on one side of the rod it would have spring pressure to keep spacing and on the other a knob to tighten the gap (this would be for both sides of the housing)

but i decided against that, because over time the springs lose there "k" factor with repeated use, plus it would just be more parts.
Yeah, I just had the thought today of "is the spring actually needed?" My thoughts are the grains passing through the mill will push the idle roller out as far as the stops let it.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #104
mrfurlly
Recipes 

Not really sure what you guys think is coming, and why you think its impossible? If you refer to the original post, you will see my intention. It is not to make a mill twice as good for half the price....thats just not possible. My goal here is to make a better mill at an 'affordable cost'. Meaning my goal is to make a better mill that will cost...more (probably)...the same (maybe) .... cheaper (not likely). Am I looking to make a million bucks on this idea? hell no. Like I said in the original post, Im going to make one for myself regardless....I might as well make more, and make them better than whats out there. So all you nay sayers....what the hell are you saying nay to? For the rest that have been contibuting in a helpfull manner....THANKS

Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #105
benthe8track
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
IIRC the other roller mills are made in the USA. How much would your $600 mill cost to make and how many would you expect to sell for that price? If it was me I would save the extra $400 and put up with having to get out my feeler gauges the every year or so, but thats just me

For 600 dollars they would come with a happy ending..

I think missed my point (probably I didn't illustrate it well enough). What I am saying is; it would be hard to penetrate this niche market by competing on both price and quality. I have no idea how many units are sold from the American examples, but by looking at them they are problem made in low volume (and some, potentially in a guys garage). So you can't sacrifice margin in hopes volume because there probably isn't much of a market anyways

This is all just my gut feeling anyways, I don't have intimate knowledge of the home brew mill industry.

I'm not trying to be negative, and wish you the best of luck. I just think some challenges exist based on my experience in product design and manufacturing

Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #106
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfurlly View Post
Not really sure what you guys think is coming, and why you think its impossible? If you refer to the original post, you will see my intention. It is not to make a mill twice as good for half the price....thats just not possible. My goal here is to make a better mill at an 'affordable cost'.
Sorry, I think that got forgotten with all the talk about cost. I did check back and yes all you said was "I want to make a better mill", nothing about cost

Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #107
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthe8track View Post
For 600 dollars they would come with a happy ending..
... (and some, potentially in a guys garage)...
Yeah I think we are on the same side of this argument without knowing it
And I think your right about at least one of the companies being a "backyard shed" opperation

Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #108
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
I would have to agree, there is a reason why MM/BC/etc. cost what they do and it is not because these guys are greedy and want to rip us all off. Think about it, if they all have about equal market share (which I think would be a fair assumption) and one dropped their price by $50-$100 who do you think everyone would be buying from?
oOn the other hand, I am also looking into getting my own fabricated but that is because I could (probably) do it cheaper than shipping one half way round the world (shipping costs about the same as the product!). I might have a contact that will give me a good price to build me one (read beer), but I wouldn't be able to do this for an actual production run.
My thoughts for adjustment are to have one roller's bushings set in slides that are adjusted by screws, don't know if these would also need to be forced out by springs or if the grain passing through will be enough to force them apart.
Might draw something up if I get time.
mattd2, for all your effort, time and materials besides high shipping costs from the USA with you looking for a higher quality mill why not just buy a Mashmaster mill? Hell it's made in the lower half of this round rock we live on;
http://www.mashmaster.com/p/563201/m...ain-mill-.html. Higher quality, larger rollers plus vastly reduced shipping costs.
Get one so I have a second reason to visit you "Kiwis", ride bike, your mill plus some brews.......~~=o&o>..............

Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #109
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfurlly View Post
Not really sure what you guys think is coming, and why you think its impossible? If you refer to the original post, you will see my intention. It is not to make a mill twice as good for half the price....thats just not possible. My goal here is to make a better mill at an 'affordable cost'. Meaning my goal is to make a better mill that will cost...more (probably)...the same (maybe) .... cheaper (not likely). Am I looking to make a million bucks on this idea? hell no. Like I said in the original post, Im going to make one for myself regardless....I might as well make more, and make them better than whats out there. So all you nay sayers....what the hell are you saying nay to? For the rest that have been contibuting in a helpfull manner....THANKS
Personally, if I can get a grain mill that is of better quality, or has better features, than what you can find otherwise (in the ~$200, or less price range) then I'm inclined to get that better product. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more than other mills, if I KNOW the one I'm getting is superior.

I look at it this way... I'm going to pay 10-20% more than the other product, but this one is superior in these areas. Which means that where I'll need to change parts on the other mill after X hours, this one will still be crushing away like a champ... Eventually, I'll probably want the better mill (even if the other does the job) so that means it would end up costing me MORE [in the long term] than just purchasing the better one the first time.

I'm more concerned with WHEN this would be ready, or far enough along so that we have a time frame. I'll want to have it on order, with a projected ship date, about the same time that I place the order for a couple sacks of grain.

Sacks of grain on hand + no grain mill = suck

Old 02-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #110
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
mattd2, for all your effort, time and materials besides high shipping costs from the USA with you looking for a higher quality mill why not just buy a Mashmaster mill? Hell it's made in the lower half of this round rock we live on;
http://www.mashmaster.com/p/563201/m...ain-mill-.html. Higher quality, larger rollers plus vastly reduced shipping costs.
Get one so I have a second reason to visit you "Kiwis", ride bike, your mill plus some brews.......~~=o&o>..............

Get two and I'll pick the other one up. I love New Zealand.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Quick Reply