Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > DIY Stainless Backsplash- Help a DIY Newb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default DIY Stainless Backsplash- Help a DIY Newb

I'm pretty terrible at DIY but luckily the project I have planned should be ridiculously simple: I'm looking to add a stainless steel back splash to my 6' long stainless single tier brewstand (electric brewery).

I'm fairly certain that I can just use 2 sheets of the 36"x48" stainless sheets located here: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...d=30&top_cat=1 but I'm unsure of what to do at the seam between the two sheets or how to mount them to the wall.

-Any ideas?

OnlineMetals is local to me so I can pick these up and avoid shipping and for under $150 I've got a 6' x 4' stainless backsplash!

I have drill bits and a step bit that can cut stainless so that's not an issue.

Thanks,
Adam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 27

See this thing REALLY needs a backsplash:

Adam

Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Stealthcruiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Most stainless comes in a 36" width, at least the stuff we use at work here, with a 48" width being a special order.

And if it were me, I would not get "annealed" stainless, as it will dent much easier, and will "dimple" where you put the screws to mount it.

Also, it's only 18 thousandths thick, which is basically "shim stock" in my eyes.

If you are local to them, go there and talk to someone, and see if you can't come up with some at least "1/4 hard" stainless, of at least 40 thousandths thickness.......... .050 would be better.

Tell them what you are trying to do, and that you don't want it wrinkled as " a sack full of buttholes".

And the material should come in a 10 or 12 ft. sheet, so you can get a seamless backsplash.

Secure it to the wall picking up your existing studs, ( visible), with a "prime coated" deck screw or the like, ( or ones made for pressure treated lumber, they are gray), of at least an 1 1/4 length, ( 1/2 of which will be drywall thickness most likely)..........

I'm guessing you want it to be as smooth as possible, yes?

Look at the fasteners I mentioned above, and see if you want to countersink the holes that big, where the head will be flush.

Countersinking a piece of metal that thin will leave an ugly hole, so ya' may have to go with "pan head" or "truss head" type screws..........These last two options will be a plated, ( shiny) , screw.

If you go with 2 pieces of metal, make the seam fall on one of the studs, and have a strip of metal cut to cover the seam, and to hold the screws to secure the end of the two pieces.

Those are just my ideas............

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Stealthcruiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Why don't you look into this:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1228&step=2

Sold specifically as "backsplash"..........I did not read through it ALL, but I would choose a "patterned" metal, and they look to be thin enough so you could glue it to the wall.

The "pattern" would hide smudges and splatters and boogers........Unless you just want smooth.

Research the backsplashes, and see how they are secured.

"Ridiculously simple" he said..............Your "D I Y cherry" will no longer be pristine, Young Man!..........

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Quick Reply