Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > DIY Racking Filter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
pizzaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default DIY Racking Filter

While racking my blackberry wheat into tertiary today I was having problems with fruit and other gunk getting stuck in the racking tubing and/or getting sucked into the beer. I have heard of people wrapping cheesecloth around the end of the cane, and this works somewhat but I kept having to restart the suction everytime the tip would get clogged with the gunk. I came up with this nifty little filter which is working like a charm. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Materials: Racking Cane, Plastic Cup, Grain Bag:

Drill Hole in bottom of cup:

Insert cane through hole, attach grain bag or cheese cloth around cup and tie off on cane:

The cup gives you more surface area for the gunk to get built up on, rather than it all building up right on the cane-hole and slowing the racking process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

I use a paint strainer. When you get some build up of gunk, move the strainer around to a clean spot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply