Bottle filler stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funblock

Reaction score
I was getting tired of holding my CP Bottle Filler while filling bottles slowly so not to get much foam. I hate just standing there and not being able to do anything like capping bottles or getting others ready to fill. So I designed this stand that holds the stopper of the filler with spring pressure in the bottle while I get other bottles ready or cap already filled bottles. I have used it and it works great. Now I can multitask with ease.

Bottle Holder.jpg

I could see it being difficult to rig something like this on the version morebeer sells. Looks like the section of tubing between the top valves and relief is to short. But I'm sure with more thought it could be down

It would be very easy to make this for MoreBeer's filler. It would just need a larger slot for the fittings to slide into and maybe a shorter spring.

please excuse my ignorance, but is this for filling with beer from a keg?

please excuse my ignorance, but is this for filling with beer from a keg?

Yes, you put the carb'd beer in the sanitized bottle straight from the keg. BUT, you are able to purge and pressurize the bottle first. Filling under pressure almost eliminates any CO2 loss. So, you get real close to your original CO2 volume in a bottle that was filled from a keg.

I love the simplicity of this. When you put an empty bottle on, how do you compress the spring enough to slide the filler into the slot?

I built a much more complicated filler, with the main object being ease of swapping out bottles and also to accommodate bombers (by adding a piece of tubing to the end of the wand and changing spring mount point).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bottling-station-counter-pressure-filler-339462/

I looked at your fancy bottling station. It looks great, but yes,mine is much less complicated. I have 2 fender washers, one on each side of the spring. I just compress the top fender washer down and slide under the slot in the top plate.

I looked at your fancy bottling station. It looks great, but yes,mine is much less complicated. I have 2 fender washers, one on each side of the spring. I just compress the top fender washer down and slide under the slot in the top plate.

Do you think if you beveled the bottom edges of the "fork" that you could just slide the bottle/filler into the fork and let the bevel compress the spring? Might make operation just a little bit easier. Or maybe that would be too much force on the filler tube and might risk bending it?

That could be a great idea, but it really is easy to press down on the fender washer to compress the spring. It does not take much pressure to hold the stopper in the bottle. But I have been thinking about a much more complicated fun idea. I am thinking about using a 10" air cylinder that is powered by Co2 using a small valve. The cylinder would be attached to a plate. The plate would move up and down using ball bearing drawer slides. You would simply flip the valve lever and the unit would go up. Then you set the bottle in place and flip the lever the other way. The cylinder would lower the unit and the Co2 would hold it in place while you filled the bottle. I will have to do some experimenting with Co2 powered air cylinders. I just happen to have all this stuff at my shop which we don’t use anymore. This could be a very fun project.

That does sound like a fun project. For someone wanting to stay with a completely manual unit, it might be good to combine your spring mechanism with my trapdoor. Mount the filler fixed to the stand, but with the same spring arrangement you have, and use a door at the bottom to insert and remove bottles as on my filler.

I got all the hardware to assemble one of these CPBF's the other day. Could you please measure exposed lengths of tubing on yours? If I know the exposed lengths, I can come up with the rest. I think I will build a stand like yours but out of 1-by wood instead. Also, what size fender washers did you use?

With the CPBF I have you can slide the tubing up and down depending on the height of the bottle you are filling.

I just did an upgrade by making a stand with a Pneumatic Cylinder to raise and lower the filler. I did a test and I think it will work great.

filler.jpg

I had seen this a long time ago but forgot where it was. This is pretty much what inspired me to come up with my project. On the other hand, The cool factor of using Co2 to power an air cylinder is way cooler than a spring.

Resurrecting an old thread, anybody have any idea where to source the materials the OP used in the first post? Is that just wood with fancy paint?

HDPE or UHMW plastic should be available at your local plastics supplier. easy to cut, drill, tap, screw, and sanitize. Good stuff for this kind or project and you can often get scraps or remnants for cheap.

What is the eye hook above the filler for? Interested in making this design. thanks!

I'm guessing it is for height adjustment of the CP itself to allow for different sized bottles.

It looks that this design requires you to hold the bottle while filling as I see no hinge on the fill head that indicates you can remove the bottle (that sits on the counter/floor when filling hands free) by pulling the bottle toward you and then slide it down the CP stem.

Back