Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Backyard Island with Grill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
snackson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Backyard Island with Grill

The wife and I are in the process of buying our first house and there is an island in the middle of the backyard with a built in grill. I didn't get a good look inside underneath but I know there is plenty of room down there.

My first thought was throwing a tap tower onto this thing, running the lines down into a trash can that would be filled with ice/keg. The keg would only be out there for the time we are entertaining and then returned to the kegerator inside.

Any ideas on the best place to place it? Should I try to get a permanently installed kegerator into it?

picture-uh-75be13687df8bf5d5c732321ef762-ps-6983615e8bcfcb55dd3d73559bf847a2.jpg   picture-uh-ab37fb3029409eaa23b025534cca1-ps-4a22be4aadf5071e38649646fc1bb.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is there electricity in there?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3693 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 3198

Honestly, I think that's an odd place to have a large grill or keezer. Especially if you have kids.

I'd move that entire thing to the side of the patio, if possible, or even onto the patio, then continue with your awesome plans. Replace the grass and enjoy your large yard.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Being "in the process of buying a house" and actually going to title can be very different things. I don't know where you are in your process but I would personally avoid becoming attached to the place i.e. deciding what to do with the island until you actually have the keys. People can really get torn up over these things...

Nice feature though. I wouldn't personally be a big fan of the apartments having an intimate view of my backyard, but that's just me.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
snackson

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

It's already in place there and secured to the foundation. There are two waterfall/fountains built in to the wall behind it. There is no electricity in it right now but there are outlets close by for the pumps for the waterfall. I was thinking of tapping off that line and wiring it up with some outlets. It would be a small keezer on the inside or just a jockey box type setup for parties. The kids turn one in October and we are hoping to be in the house by then and use the yard for their first birthday party.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
snackson

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Being "in the process of buying a house" and actually going to title can be very different things. I don't know where you are in your process but I would personally avoid becoming attached to the place i.e. deciding what to do with the island until you actually have the keys. People can really get torn up over these things...

Nice feature though. I wouldn't personally be a big fan of the apartments having an intimate view of my backyard, but that's just me.
Process is moving along nicely so far. 95% sure we will be in the house in a month-month and a half. I know that the house isn't ours yet but I am trying to get ideas for brewing and the island in the back.

That is another house behind us. The homes here in San Diego are pretty close together.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Man you are going to love your new house. I've got 3 munchkins myself and we've been in 2 houses. Two of them are in college now.

It's crazy how much of your life is wrapped up in a house. We moved into a much larger house 10 years ago, but I can't express the emotions of leaving a home that your little ones grew up in. The place was saturated with memories, our history.

I'm telling you this because a house is a home. It's not just a place to park your car and contain your shtuff. It will be an indelible part of your life, and even more your 1-yr-olds. You wouldn't normally know this until you have to leave it, so I'm telling you now in the hope that it helps you with whatever decisions you're trying to make.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackson

Process is moving along nicely so far. 95% sure we will be in the house in a month-month and a half. I know that the house isn't ours yet but I am trying to get ideas for brewing and the island in the back.

That is another house behind us. The homes here in San Diego are pretty close together.
Best wishes to your home buying experience. I am probably a little jaded since I had the absolute worst loan officer on the face of the planet. Luckily the sellers really liked us so they rolled with the punches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
Man you are going to love your new house. I've got 3 munchkins myself and we've been in 2 houses. Two of them are in college now.

It's crazy how much of your life is wrapped up in a house. We moved into a much larger house 10 years ago, but I can't express the emotions of leaving a home that your little ones grew up in. The place was saturated with memories, our history.

I'm telling you this because a house is a home. It's not just a place to park your car and contain your shtuff. It will be an indelible part of your life, and even more your 1-yr-olds. You wouldn't normally know this until you have to leave it, so I'm telling you now in the hope that it helps you with whatever decisions you're trying to make.
There's got to be a Beatles song that summarizes this

Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Best wishes to your home buying experience. I am probably a little jaded since I had the absolute worst loan officer on the face of the planet. Luckily the sellers really liked us so they rolled with the punches.

There's got to be a Beatles song that summarizes this
Actually those are the words heard if you listen to #9 backwards (White Album). Good call!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #10
bottlebomber
Recipes 

How are you guys doing with this?

Quick Reply