Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Almost Automated Bottle Sanitizer with pics and video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
AirRageous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Almost Automated Bottle Sanitizer with pics and video

OK, It seems there are only two options when it came to sanitizing bottles. One was to fill a bucket or tub or sink with sanitizer solution and force each bottle under until all the bubbles stopped then drain the bottle. Or purchase a Vinator and pump sanitizer into each bottle individually. Yeah, yeah .... I know, I could keg my beer but I don't. I like to use bottles.

So, I built a bottle sanitizer that will pump sanitizer up into an inverted bottle and run back out. My final design will alternate only two bottles but that seems to work out really well. I tried using four spouts to do four bottles at a time but my pump was not powerful enough. I cut it back to two and I think that in the time it takes to remove and place the next bottle, the first one has been exposed to the sanitizer adequately enough.

The first real test was last weekend when we bottled 5 gallons. There were three of us so we made an assembly line. One worked the sanitizer pump, one filled the bottles with beer and one capped them. It worked great. But one person could use this also and just have something like a bottle tree to hold the sanitized bottles before filling.

Here is the finished product:

And here is a video of the AABS in action. It will accomodate all sizes of bottles from 12oz, 22 oz, Grolsch, or 1 liter PETs. I will use it in a Homer bucket which will only require about 2 gallons of sanitizer solution. This video is in a clear tub for a better view. I use Iodophor and I don't know if the foam from StarSan will be a problem or not.

[/IMG]

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

My Theme Song: "I Like Beer"

BRUbaker Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here are the parts. I used CPVC 1/2" pipe and fittings and found that a 5/8"OD tubing fit snuggly into the pipe tee of the manifold. The finished size fits into a 5 gal. bucket.

This the pump I used from Harbor Freight for about $25.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here it is in a Homer bucket. You only need to mix about 2 gallons of sanitizer solution. Just enough to come up over the pump and the neck of the bottles to sanitize the outside lip.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sweet man....lovin it! Would be interesting to see how StarSan would work with that.

Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
lebshiff21
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Like it! Doesn't iodophor require 3mins of contact time though?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My understanding is that Iodophor in an "on contact" sanitizer. Even if you are using a Vinator, you are only getting a few seconds of contact. Then the bottle is inverted on something to drain. Definitely not 3 minutes anyway.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #7
vcm1613
Recipes 

Simple and effective. I have been using the "batch dunk bucket" method for sanatizing for a long time. $30 and i'm automated. My 4th of July project.

Cheers to you!

-J

Old 06-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
Nwcw2001
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The way we did it at the brewery I worked at was to fill a keg with sanitizer and pressurize it. attach a hose to the keg tap and the other end to a bottle rinser just like you have attached to your sink at home and then your sanitizer is under pressure! Pop the bottle down and couple of squirts and you are in business!

John

PS I love this system as well!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Nwcw2001;1404741]The way we did it at the brewery I worked at was to fill a keg with sanitizer and pressurize it. attach a hose to the keg tap and the other end to a bottle rinser just like you have attached to your sink at home and then your sanitizer is under pressure! Pop the bottle down and couple of squirts and you are in business!

I was trying to figure out a system like that also but did not have a good way to pressurize a vessel. I thought about hooking the pump to a bottle rinser but figured that a continuous flow back into the bucket would work just as well. I do use a bottle rinser hooked to a faucett for rinsing after washing and before sanitizing. I am still trying to engineer an Almost Automated Bottle Washer also.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

This is great!!!!!!!!!

Though with starsan all that action may make for blinding foam. With my vinator I have to keep dumping the foam out of the top...I can't wait to see what happens with yours...I have a picture in my head of those old washing machine gags with too much soap added, and it filling up a house.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply