Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > What should I build?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
de5m0mike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default What should I build?

I just realized I have about 15 feet of old copper AC line left over from an old AC unit that we recently replaced. I'm trying to figure out what I can do with it. I'm thinking some sort of wort chiller. There are two separate 15 foot lines. One looks to be 3/8 and the other looks to be about 1 inch. Since both lines have been used for AC before they have had some crazy chemicals, freon or whatever, in them so I'm not even sure if they are safe to use or not. With proper cleaning I'm thinking they would probably be ok though .I also have another coil of about 20 feet of 3/8 and two 20 ft or so coils of 1/4. I'm thinking the 1/4 stuff might be to small to use though. Oh, and I also have a wort chiller that I already made out of 20 feet of 3/8. I'm thinking some kind of double chiller, one that fits inside of the other and can be used separately or together. Or one could be used as a prechiller. The one inch line had me thinking about a counter flow chiller or something too. Any suggestions? What should I do with all this copper?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
GreenMonti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5m0mike View Post
I just realized I have about 15 feet of old copper AC line left over from an old AC unit that we recently replaced. I'm trying to figure out what I can do with it. I'm thinking some sort of wort chiller. There are two separate 15 foot lines. One looks to be 3/8 and the other looks to be about 1 inch. Since both lines have been used for AC before they have had some crazy chemicals, freon or whatever, in them so I'm not even sure if they are safe to use or not. With proper cleaning I'm thinking they would probably be ok though .I also have another coil of about 20 feet of 3/8 and two 20 ft or so coils of 1/4. I'm thinking the 1/4 stuff might be to small to use though. Oh, and I also have a wort chiller that I already made out of 20 feet of 3/8. I'm thinking some kind of double chiller, one that fits inside of the other and can be used separately or together. Or one could be used as a prechiller. The one inch line had me thinking about a counter flow chiller or something too. Any suggestions? What should I do with all this copper?

Send it too me. I know just what too do with it for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply