Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > New twist immersion chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
jlb307
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianw58 View Post
Check with the Chem Department if a local college. Tell them exactly what you're doing.

This might make a fun lab for a beginning chem class, or even an analytical chem class!

Take them a sample of your standard water and water in which your radiator has boiled for an hour.

Ask them to check for heavy metal levels and any other compounds they might think of.

Could be very enlightening and fun for all! Trade or beer!

The reason no one else is doing it might just be because no one though of it or mo one decided to check for real results...
Not a bad idea. Better safe than sorry, and you never know. OP might turn out to be an innovator. If it turns out to be safe, the only concern would be clogging while chilling, imo.

BTW, check these out. Both claim to be lead-free:

http://www.clizen.com/automotive-hea...s-manufacturer

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...1-p#fragment-4

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Starrider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like the water test idea. At least it would confirm one way or the other.
I'm not sure I can do the college method but I am sure there are other labs and mail in companies that will do the test. I know I had the water tested when we bought our house. That's how we found the arsenic in our well water

Neo, you're right, at this point I can't confirm that the solder is lead-free. I can confirm where it is made though. Right down the street from me. The company I work for supplies the aluminum that is used in them. I will have to check my contacts and see if they will tell me what solder they use. The ones Jeff found say lead-free and those are aftermarket. I would expect OEM to be of higher grade. Thanks for looking.

It would be dissappointing to find out it can't be used, it is really fast and I can't beat the price. Hopefully I can get some testing done soon and know for sure.

Lagering: Yuengling clone
Conditioning: Red's Riding Ale
Serving: Red's Riding Ale
Hard Lemonade,
Hefeweizen

Old 07-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
renegade
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am very interested in seeing how this turns out. If it turns out to be safe I might pick one up myself.

Bridge Street Brewery
Cobleskill, NY

Old 07-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
dmcman73
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

To make something food grade cost money for the safe materials. I highly doubt that a heater core for a car is made with any food grade standards. There are other chemicals that are used in the process besides the solder. As the aluminum is formed on the assemble line it's coated with all types of chemicals and lubricants to protect the machines that are bending/cutting it. Also, the aluminum used in that may not have been processed as "food grade" either.

There are different manufacturing processes for each component. Again, food grade costs more money because of the special non-toxic materials they have to use to manufacturer the component versus making something that is not food grade.

Don't mess with your health. Once that's heated up, all kinds of toxic chemicals are going to start leaching off it. That's why there is food grade plastic, plastic that is BPA free, etc.

EDIT:
You can still uses this in a way that it will not come in contact with anything you would consume. Attach one end of the hose going into the core into your water source, place the heater core into a big bucket of ice, attach the other tube end into a food grade immersion chiller and you'll have ice cold water pumping through the chiller and it will never touch your brew, that will cool it real quick.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianw58 View Post
Check with the Chem Department if a local college. Tell them exactly what you're doing.

This might make a fun lab for a beginning chem class, or even an analytical chem class!

Take them a sample of your standard water and water in which your radiator has boiled for an hour.

Ask them to check for heavy metal levels and any other compounds they might think of.

Could be very enlightening and fun for all! Trade or beer!

The reason no one else is doing it might just be because no one though of it or mo one decided to check for real results...
I've thought of it, repurposing my Hayden 457 oil cooler - but only as a pre-chiller - the cooler never gets near or touches the wort.

IMO, using any automotive car heater anywhere in food service use or application is not very smart.

YMMV.

Primary:
Joe's Ancient Old Mead (JAOM) 10/26/2012
American Wheat
English Bitter
Apple Jack's Limeade Skeeter Pee
Secondary:
Skeeter Pee 10/6/2012
Bottled:
NB Cream Ale and AK47 Pale Mild

Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The core you have isn't the old school copper tube and aluminum fins with the tubes soldered into the heads. It is a microchannel design and doesn't have traditional solder used with copper pipes everyone is thinking of. These are made of nearly 100% aluminum, including the solder normally so you may have no issues. See if you can find out who does the manufacturing and if you can find out what their process is. They will tell you that it isn't food grade regardless of what products they use, but that is only because they don't have it certified for food use or nsf tested.

Hit it with some peroxide and vinegar to remove surface lead(if there is any), but I'm pretty sure you've got nothing but aluminum there.

Way to think out of the box! A little more homework and you may have the best new chiller out there,

Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Starrider
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

WPStrassburg, that is the best news I've heard all day. I believe you are correct in the type of core I have here.

The manufacturer is just down the street. The company I work for supplies all the aluminum and like you, I too think it is 100% aluminum.

Unfortunately, all my contacts are in the office and wouldn't know anything about the process. I will have to find someone on the floor I can ask about that.

Thanks for the input. I will keep working on verification of materials and process. Hopefully it will prove out in the end.

Lagering: Yuengling clone
Conditioning: Red's Riding Ale
Serving: Red's Riding Ale
Hard Lemonade,
Hefeweizen

Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
neo71665
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I wish ya luck but I got a feeling leaks on the line are still gonna be soldered. They ain't gonna toss one because of a pinhole in a press fit when in a few seconds it can be fixed. Lead solder is still out there, dad works at a lumber treatment yard and they use it all over the place. Not being a piece designed for food use I still highly doubt they use anything higher grade designed for or food safe.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1387 Times on 1119 Posts

So how would one clean and sanitize an aluminum radiator without dissolving it?

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #20
neo71665
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
So how would one clean and sanitize an aluminum radiator without dissolving it?

Cheers!

Just go ahead and run ya shine through it. When people start going blind move fast.

Quick Reply