Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #701
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegz15 View Post
So what you're saying is use a stack of say two magnets on only one side of the fan?

Wouldn't that be unbalanced and cause vibration?

Also, I don't know how to delete my other over posts. My hbt app was acting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
no you will have a stack of 2 magnets on each side of the fan. from your pic it looks likes you have 2 magnets on each side but they are side by side not stacked
What ekjohns said. Basically the two magnets next to each other (no mater how many high) are fighting over the end of the stir bar. in my compleatly un-informed and unscientific opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #702
weconway
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I finally finished my home made stir plate. A couple of changes:

1. I picked up a sweet cigar box for $1 at my local cigar shop. There's something very right about using a cigar box for brewing equipment. Sort of like the Most Interesting Man in the World's home made stir plate.

2. I got real rare earth magnets from a hobby shop. They were WAY easier to deal with than the HD magnets, and allowed me to use a 2" stir bar.

3. I got a 2" bar with a pivot ring in the center. They run quieter, and are more tolerant of non-perfectly flat surfaces.

I'm pretty happy with how she's running. My yeast starters are immeasurably better in quality. I usually get good vigorous fermentation in less than 6 hours!!

A couple of shots:

And the requisite YouTube video:

Thanks guys!!

William

Cold Beverage Brewing Co. - Marietta, GA
Fine Ales and Lagers Since 1998

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: NB CDA
On draught: NB Innkeeper Ale, NB Waldo Lake Amber
Coming up: Irish Stout

Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #703
camiller
Recipes 

Hard drive magnet & 2" stir bar(with pivot ring). I actually lost my 1" bar and one of the other members of the club loaned me this one.

I did spend quite an amount of time getting the HD magnet lined up and centered. In the photo it is running at 3v but I had it running as high as 9v which pulled a pretty good vortex.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #704
nu2brewing
Premium Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

I just got my setup made, had some difficulty with my stir bar (1-3/8") staying in the center of the flask.
It wanted to spin off center quickly. I think I may try a 2" stir bar at some point if anyone thinks it might help?

On Deck - Citra IPA
Primary 1 &2 - Amber Ale & Air :-(
Kegged: Imperial Stout

Reason: change image

Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #705
organ
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Or run at a lower RPM? Seems like somewhere along the line I read some babble about shearing effects...detrimental to yeast...bla bla bla. Yeah, it looks cool to pull a vortex to the bottom of a 6 gallon carboy, but totally unnecessary and possibly harmful. If you are pulling a dimple in the surface it's running fast enough to keep the yeast suspended.
I'm not after a large vortex; at full throttle my fan wont form one anyway(although it may with a larger stir bar). I just wanna be certain that the bar isn't thrown five hours into an over-night stir.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #706
hs0656
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheffriz View Post
Need some assistance with this

not sure how to get the magnets off the larger pieces of metal
Put the metal bracket into a vise and stick a screwdriver at the base of the magnet. The screwdriver may require gentle persuasion with a few hammer taps.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #707
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For those of you that are saying that your bar is spinning off center, I'd suggest fine tuning the centering of your magnet until it spins in the center of your enclosure or the desired spot.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 05-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #708
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs0656 View Post
Put the metal bracket into a vise and stick a screwdriver at the base of the magnet. The screwdriver may require gentle persuasion with a few hammer taps.

I've been able to bend the back plate enough to fit any flathead behind the magnet and pry it off with very little force. The magnets are stronger than the glue holding them on, so they don't bend with the backplate.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #709
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
For those of you that are saying that your bar is spinning off center, I'd suggest fine tuning the centering of your magnet until it spins in the center of your enclosure or the desired spot.
the problem is not so much the position of the magnet its the physics behind it. A nice stir bar is magnitized through the length giving it a N and S poll on each end. Hardrive magnets are polarized through the thickness giving each face a N and S poll. If you are using a small stir bar this is not a problem cause the hardrive magnet is large enough to keep it centered. However, If you are using a larger stir bar the bar spins off axis and gets tossed at very low speeds. The best was to make one is either to get a bar magnet polarized through the length similar to the stir bar or to buy small magnets that you can put on either side (one with N facing up and the other with S facing up) with a space in the middle. I have both harddrive magnets and small cirlce magnets that I have tested with 1", 1.5", 2", 3". The small circle magnets work well with all 4. The harddrive magents works perfect with the 1" so/so with the 1.5", okay at slow speed with 2" and not at all with the 3".

as a quick reference to people building these from now on follow this chart depending on what you already have or how much you are will to spend:

Magent type ............... stir bar size
1 hardrive magent ....... 1"
circle magnets ........... 1-2"
bar magnets* ............ 1-3"

*Bar magnets needs to be polarized through length and matching the length to the stir bar is ideal

hope this helps

Old 05-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #710
camiller
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
Hardrive magnets are polarized through the thickness giving each face a N and S poll.
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Hard Drive Magnets are not polarized through the face, they are polarized lengthwise.

like this only flatter:

images from: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/magdir.asp

Edit: And for what it is worth, I have had no problem spinning a 2-inch bar once i "really" got the HD magnet spinning at its true magnetic center.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Quick Reply