Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #1081
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryor View Post
Yeah I threw it on the fan just so I wouldn't lose them in my room AGAIN (lost them like 4 times during multiple runs to radio shack and drinking)! The fan itself pushes them in that order but if I separate them they align perfectly on the outside but lose their strength. So I need to open up a few more hard drives here at work to stack them. Was just wondering if the hard drive magnets would be enough on the 120mm fan or should I just purchase some stronger ones?
I use 1 hard drive magnet on my 120mm fan and it works great.
stirplate2.jpg  
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #1082
rpryor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks camiller for your information. Did not know that stacking the hard drive magnets may not help. Since the circuit works good and barrooze is using the same size fan with the same type of magnets i'll try and narrow down the placement as the error. I'll try gluing down a washer first to help raise it to the lid a little more as well. Is a 1" stir bar fine for 1000L and 2000L flask starters? Wondering if that also could be an issue.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #1083
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryor View Post
Thanks camiller for your information. Did not know that stacking the hard drive magnets may not help. Since the circuit works good and barrooze is using the same size fan with the same type of magnets i'll try and narrow down the placement as the error. I'll try gluing down a washer first to help raise it to the lid a little more as well. Is a 1" stir bar fine for 1000L and 2000L flask starters? Wondering if that also could be an issue.
Yeah, a 1" bar should be fine. When you are trying to center a hard drive magnet remember that you are wanting to center the magnetic field, which with it's kidney shape may not necessarily be the physical center.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #1084
rpryor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so I ended up using 2 washers to push the magnets closer to the lid and used the one hard drive magnet. It did spin the bar without tossing it on all speeds. However it was a very tiny cone at maximum. Added another hard drive magnet on top and was able to get a cone to go half way down on both the 1000L and 2000L when set at maximum speed. I think my other problem for the weakness of the plate is that my hard drive magnets are quite small compared to others on the forums. Wondering if I should just purchase stronger disc magnets. Probably going to just glue it down and call it good enough for government work!

Thanks everyone for your help as well as these forums for giving me an addiction.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #1085
Spartybrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I built one Friday in a cigar box using these directions. I got all the parts for less than $20 and haven't built anything like this before and it actually works! Thanks for the instructions!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #1086
Csuho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What do the builders of these think of this for the controller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-CPU...#ht_3196wt_952

that would take care of the rheostat for less than from rat shack.

everything tastes better with cascades - they're like the bacon of the brewing world. - Danek

Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #1087
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csuho View Post
What do the builders of these think of this for the controller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-CPU...#ht_3196wt_952

that would take care of the rheostat for less than from rat shack.
Looks like a nice find! Even if it's just the rheostat and knob, you are still money ahead from Radio Shack. It would be nice to see the back. If that uses the LM317 controller, it is a partcularly good deal.

It's too late for me. A couple of days ago I ordered all the electronic parts for 12 of them (except the fans and magnets) using the LM317s from Tayda for $25 plus $7 shipping.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #1088
StirStarters
Recipes 

Looks like a great deal, especially if there is a LM317 or some other voltage regulator involved as ThreeDogsNE said. I can't IMAGINE that is it just a plain old potentiometer mounted on a plate!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #1089
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLuke View Post
Diaperload,

You weren't by chance a recruiter in a past life were you? That first stirplate looks surprisingly similar to the old "200 card" boxes. I used to recruit in Salem, Or.
No, not a recruiter. I did spend 6 years in the Marine Corps though.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #1090
shuckit
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Just need a flask

I scrounged a magnet out of an old western digital hard drive and decided to up-cycle the enclosure. I'm using a 12V 0.16A 80mm fan inside. I had a 12V wall wart hooked up at first and it was way too fast. Now I've got a 5V wall wart that seems well balanced. Just need a flask!

Quick Reply