Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #1061
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGirl View Post

...I also discovered that if I got the magnet centered.... then lifted the flask just a little while starting the fan until the vortex got going and then set it down I had better chance of it not throwing the bar. This makes me think maybe I should lower the fan inside by 1/8".
What I did was to cut a piece of rubber mat used in kitchen drawers and shelves to keep things from sliding around. You can find it at almost any big store or grocery store.

Cut a piece to cover the top of the stirplate and cut a hole in the middle for the magnets to spin within. Keeps the flask in place and lifts it up a bit to clear the magnets.

I need mine to be a bit high for when I put the 1 gallon tea jug on it for lagers and big beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #1062
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow52 View Post
Also see if you can get the solid round shaped rare earth magnets at Home Depot (about $3.60 for a pack of 6) I am not sure those 'washer' magnets are doing you any favors and be sure to glue them down or they will shift.
I'll see if I can find those magnets, thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
What I did was to cut a piece of rubber mat used in kitchen drawers and shelves to keep things from sliding around. You can find it at almost any big store or grocery store.

Cut a piece to cover the top of the stirplate and cut a hole in the middle for the magnets to spin within. Keeps the flask in place and lifts it up a bit to clear the magnets.

I need mine to be a bit high for when I put the 1 gallon tea jug on it for lagers and big beers.

Ahhh... great idea! I've got rolls of that stuff left over from when I lined my kitchen shelves & drawers. Thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #1063
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

OK. Problems. Stir plate is assembled and the stir bar arrived. Unfortunately it just sits in the center of the beaker and rattles. I moved the magnet and it stirred briefly and then stopped. Can't get it going. Help please.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 03-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #1064
Mellow52
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
OK. Problems. Stir plate is assembled and the stir bar arrived. Unfortunately it just sits in the center of the beaker and rattles. I moved the magnet and it stirred briefly and then stopped. Can't get it going. Help please.
Why the stir bar did not spin:
What is the distance between the magnets and the stir bar? What magnets are you using, rare earth? Is your magnets glued down? If you are using two magnets do you have the same poles facing up (++ or --) or alternate poles facing up (+-)? Can you upload pictures?

Why the fan now does not spin:
If the fan is not turning when you turn the pot bypass everything and go straight from the DC adapter to the fan to locate the problem. If the fan still turns then it is the pot, if the fan does not spin up well then it puked assuming the DC adapter is still fine.

Sorry for all the questions.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #1065
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow52 View Post
Why the stir bar did not spin:
What is the distance between the magnets and the stir bar? What magnets are you using, rare earth? Is your magnets glued down? If you are using two magnets do you have the same poles facing up (++ or --) or alternate poles facing up (+-)? Can you upload pictures?

Why the fan now does not spin:
Sorry for all the questions.
Fan runs fine. I am using one magnet from a laptop hard drive. It is probably a quarter of an inch from the top of the project box. It is not glued down as I want to be able to adjust it. Good thing I guess as it sure isn't working as it is. The stir bar is an inch and a half long. The wierd thing to me is that it worked twice and either threw the stib bar off to the side or just quit spinning? That's all I got.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 03-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #1066
Mellow52
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Fan runs fine. I am using one magnet from a laptop hard drive. It is probably a quarter of an inch from the top of the project box. It is not glued down as I want to be able to adjust it. Good thing I guess as it sure isn't working as it is. The stir bar is an inch and a half long. The wierd thing to me is that it worked twice and either threw the stib bar off to the side or just quit spinning? That's all I got.
OK does your pot control the speed well meaning can you make it spin real slow? Does the magnet and the stir bar couple well?

The way stir plates work is ramping the speed till you get the vortex desired. If you start at high speed the bar will get tossed. I am thinking three things are happening here. The magnet is moving since it is not glued down and your stir bar is way way too big and your fan speed is too high. Get a stir bar no more than 1". I would spend the $3 and get the round disc rare earth magnets from Home Depot and mount two of them, glue'em. Make sure you have full speed control and keep the magnet and stir bar as close as possible for good coupling, 1/4" is too much so get them closer. Look at my post on the previous page if you need help with a good speed control system.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #1067
Slyko
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Thank You Mr. Lopez,

You're info was right on! I substituted a free Cigar Box I picked up @ Bevmo when I was buying Ovila Dubbel.

An update to your original post dated 2008, today's cost is a whopping $15, but Radio Shack's part numbers are still the same.

The most expensive item was the additional $5 stir bar from EBay.

I am completely inept when it comes to electricity & your explanation was right on!

My 1 question is: How long to I rest the yeast starter on the stir plate......... 1 day or 2 days?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #1068
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyko View Post
My 1 question is: How long to I rest the yeast starter on the stir plate......... 1 day or 2 days?
If I have enough time, I'll do 24 hours. If I don't, I'll let it go for 18. I've heard anywhere from 18-36 is typical for maximizing the effectiveness of the starter, though I welcome any correction by people who've read the Yeast book (don't have it yet).
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #1069
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

So I brewed a Hefeweizen last weekend and I made a starter on my new homemade stir plate. Here it is at about 28 hours.

The stir plate worked without any problems and I actually liked the larger stir bar.... did a great job in the starter, which is thicker than water, and never got thrown once.

Thanks again for the help.... this is a great thread!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #1070
BigLuke
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Diaperload,

You weren't by chance a recruiter in a past life were you? That first stirplate looks surprisingly similar to the old "200 card" boxes. I used to recruit in Salem, Or.

Quick Reply