Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > My shamelessly cheap $12 DIY stir plate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #31
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by djelemenohpee
Will these work?
That's what I use!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #32
FoshM
Recipes 

What a great cheap stir plate. Just ordered a fan from amazon!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #33
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by djelemenohpee
Will these work?
Yup. Just bend the bracket with a couple pliers to get the magnet off.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #34
djelemenohpee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze

Yup. Just bend the bracket with a couple pliers to get the magnet off.
Great! Thanks

Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #35
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules
I got my 11 today and if I could do it again I'd get the larger one. The 11 will be fine for my 2000ml flask but I wanted this one for my 5000ml. I may order the order also.
I retract my statement about the size of the fan, this thing rips! No need for the larger sized fan at all!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
msh227
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All my materials are in, going to put this together tonight. Just thinking about the washer being used. Curious is the washer needed, it is said to be used to shield the field from the fan motor. Won't the magnetic field pass through the washer and still make it to the fan? With the magnets I bought, the field can pass through my finger and attract each other, very strong magnets.

Has anyone tried not using the washer?

-Matt

Fermenting: Air

On Tap: Irish Red Ale

Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #37
IFMracin
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone wondering the quality of these fans, I have two that I have been using in my entertainment center for 4+ years with no issues.
One is on 24/7 to exhaust air from around my DVR and the other comes on automatically with my PS3.

I would buy these fans again in a heartbeat.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #38
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh227 View Post
Curious is the washer needed, it is said to be used to shield the field from the fan motor. Won't the magnetic field pass through the washer and still make it to the fan? With the magnets I bought, the field can pass through my finger and attract each other, very strong magnets.

Has anyone tried not using the washer?
You definitely need the washer or some ferrous material to shield the motor. If you have disk magnets you could use a flat bar. Or you can space the magnets above the motor some distance using a plastic spacer of some sort. That's how Stir Starters makes theirs. If you're using two individual magnets, be sure you have one with the N pole up and the other with the S pole up.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #39
jathorp
Recipes 

Default Worked like a charm

I bought one of these awesome thermaltake fans from Amazon (free shipping with prime) and was able to convert it into a stir plate with just a single trip to the hardware store.

For all those who are curious, I couldn't get my hands on a hard drive, but Lowes had a pack of magnets for $2.50 that work just fine. I've doubled them up on each side, but it would also work to just use one on each side.

I glued the washer to the back of the fan, but as of now, I am just letting the magnets sit freely on the washer. They're strong enough to hold themselves in place. (I was too afraid to glue them because if they were out of place it would be hell to remove and re-attach them.)

I just took the back grill off completely instead of bothering to cut the wire.

Here's a video of my awesome 'shamelessly cheap' stir plate in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0Xi...ature=youtu.be

As you can see, I don't have a frame or box so for the time I'm using two books. This fan moves really fast, It's way more than I need for a 1L flask.

This took less than 3 hours including ordering, trips to the hardware store, etc. Thanks for the great idea.

If you like to clean, you'll love to brew.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #40
jlachesk
Recipes 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A19HVCG16XC5A9

This laptop cooling pad may also be an option. Same price point as the Thermaltake. Likely significantly lower quality, but might be a good option to adapt to stir plate duties.

I'm planning to switch my stir plate from the current monstrosity of a project box to something compact like this.

Quick Reply