Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > My Immersion Chiller Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
hughes_brews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default My Immersion Chiller Build

After watching Bobby_M's youtube video, I decided to build my own immersion chiller. I ordered 50' of 1/2" tubing from coppertubingsales.com. $43 shipped, which is a lot cheaper than the big box stores.

I had some 1/2" straight copper pipe left over from finishing my basement, so I picked up some 1/2" to 3/8" reducers to attach to the refrigeration tubing (thanks Bobby_M for the heads-up that refrigeration tubing is measured by O.D., while straight tubing is measured by I.D.).

The only part I had trouble with was trying to solder 5/8" barbed garden hose adapters. I drilled them out to 1/2", but could not get a leak-free connection. After trying to re-solder several times, I gave up on that. Instead, I had some 1/2" threaded adapters that I soldered onto the ends of the tubes and picked up garden hose adapters that fit onto the threaded adapters. These were Watts A-660 (female swivel hose adapter) and A-668 (male hose adapter).

It passed the leak test tonight. I washed it in soap and water and will boil it in a water/vinegar mix tomorrow morning and let it sit for a couple hours. Then, it will be ready for it's first run tomorrow night. Can't wait!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

That is a thing of beauty. Well done. are you using a keggle?

Old 03-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
hughes_brews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

No, just a 30 quart turkey fryer for now. It is overkill now, but I am looking to upgrade to 60 quart soon so I can do 10 gallon batches. If I need more height later, I can stretch the coils a little and cut/add to the straight piece.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:55 AM   #4
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i just did mine too, but instead of hose adapters I am going to do barbs and pick up a pump (petsmart for 20 bucks ) and pump ice cilled water through the chiller.

Quick Reply