Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > My 1/2" Tubing Roller Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
CoopDvr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My 1/2" Tubing Roller Build

I recently purchased a 1/2"x50' coil of 316 SS tubing for a new EHERMS system that I'm building. After reading of many failed attempts to coil by hand, I decided to build a proper roller.

First of all, I have to give a big thanks to V-twin for his roller build. My design is a bit different, but his build was the inspiration for my build. You can see his build here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/50-f...8/index12.html

I bought three 1/2"x3" wire rope sheaves from Grainger. These have the bearings, so they roll with ease: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/She...TE0?Pid=search

The rest of the build is with scrap aluminum and fittings from my shop at work.

I used 1/8" pieces of aluminum sheet. I took two small pieces and attached them together with double sided tape. I then made a template and taped it to the panels. I cut and drilled the panels together through the template.

photo-1-8-.jpg   photo-2-8-.jpg   photo-3-7-.jpg   photo-3.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
CoopDvr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So once my plates were complete, I inserted my new sheaves with 5/16" SS hardware. I then welded a base plate for clamping and an aluminum 5/8" nut at the top.

photo-4.jpg   photo-2-2-.jpg   photo-1-2-.jpg   photo-1-3-.jpg   photo-4-2-.jpg  

Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
CoopDvr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

To adjust the roller, I added a fork assembly at the top. It's made from 1/4"x2" aluminum flatbar. I installed a SS 5/8" bolt with a small piece of SS rod so I can make adjustments by hand. I also welded a thin retaining washer underneath so it would pull the sheave back up when I loosen it.

photo-4-3-.jpg   photo-2-3-.jpg   photo-2-4-.jpg   photo-1-4-.jpg   photo-2-5-.jpg  

Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
jmzcustomz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That's pretty damn cool. How does it work?
Oh welds looks awesome too.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
CoopDvr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Now to see how it works. Back at home I clamped the roller to a table in my garage and opened my box of tubing. As shipped, the coil is about 24". My 20 gallon HLT is 19-7/8" diameter. I'm looking for about a 15" finished diameter. As you can see this thing sprung out really far once I cut the shrink wrap.... glad I had a hand on it.

photo-3-6-.jpg   photo-4-5-.jpg   photo-1-6-.jpg   photo-4-6-.jpg  

Old 06-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
CoopDvr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Success! So the coil rolled up great! It was nice and smooth and not much effort at all. I ran it through about 10 or so times, and tightening the top sheave about a half turn with each run. V-twin and others spoke of significant "elbow grease" required to roll their coils. I don't know why this is unless their sheaves don't have the bearings? But I don't know if that's the case. I do know it's worth a few extra bucks to get the sheaves with the bearings.

Anyway. I got the diameter I needed and the space between coils tightened up with each pass too. You can see from the photos that the ends sweep out further than the rest of the coil. This is intentional as to make a smooth connection into my 1/2" Swagelok elbows that I'm going to install later.

If there's anyting I'd do different if I was doing it again.... I'd maybe hinge one of the side panels to allow for quick changeout of the sheaves for rolling different sizes of tubing. But in reallity, all of my stuff is going to be 1/2" anyway, so not a big deal. I can still change the sheaves anyway if I really want, it would just be a PITA.

photo-2-6-.jpg   photo-3-8-.jpg   photo-1.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
CoopDvr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmzcustomz View Post
That's pretty damn cool. How does it work?
Oh welds looks awesome too.
Thanks jmz. To be honest I didn't run the welds. I did all the rest, but I fitted it up for a welder that I work with to actually TIG it. A couple of 11% Tripels make for great currency

How it works is I start one end of the tubing between the rollers and adjust the top roller down until it contacts the coil. Then I spiral it through the rollers with one arm inside the coil and the other feeding it along. When I get to the other end, I tighten the top roller a little more and roll back the other way. As the coil tightened up, I was able to pull my arm out and just spin it with two hands like I was spinning a cylinder on its side.

I've got some action photos that my 4 and 6 year old daughters took. But those were on a different camera and HBT isn't allowing me to upload them for some reason. I plan to transfer them over to my phone (that's what the rest of the pics were taken from) then back to my computer and see if that works. Hopefully I can get them posted by tomorrow sometime.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
everty2007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but this is what Ive been looking for to fix all my coil forming problems. Do you by chance have any action photos or pics of actually using this device. I might be giving it a try. Nice work, Thanks

Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
CoopDvr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks everty. I meant to post photos of me rolling my tubing, but never got around to it. I'll have to figure out where they're stored. I'll try to post something

Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
CoopDvr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Oops hit send before I meant to....

I'll try to post pics in the next day or so. Cheers!

Quick Reply