Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Homemade Immersion Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
dcott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Homemade Immersion Chiller

I was planning on making my own immersion chiller today out of copper tubing. I went to Home Depot only to find that the flexible copper tubing I was planning on using was over $100 for a 50' coil, and $80 for a 20' coil. Does this seem right to anyone? Does anyone have any ideas of where to get cheaper materials? If not, I may just buy a pre-fab one from an online HBS.

Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 435 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 48

coppertubingonline.com

I bought 50' of 1/2" for about 60. I split it with a friend

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.
mariojr Likes This 
Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll be purchasing this: at my next purchase from AHS. For $60, you can't beat it. And YES that is about right from HOME DEPOT!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
shertz
Recipes 

Yeah, the price of copper is nuts right now. You could buy the 50' and make 2 and sell one. Maybe recoup some of the cost.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts

Home Ripo is over priced on most items because they have it all there, and you don't have to go to several different supply houses to complete all the stages of a project. The supply houses usually have better quality at better prices, but they are getting harder to find.

+1 on coppertubingsales. Use the extra copper to make a prechiller or you will wish you had.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I just bought 50' of 3/8" at http://coppertubingsales.com/ as well for under $50 shipped (ok, it was $49.69 but still). The smallest they sell is 50' rolls but they have every size. It's only $10 more for 1/2 if that's what you want.

I plan on splitting it into two coils, one inside the other, and splitting the water path through the two coils and then bringing it back together at the end. Hopefully, it will cool it down fast!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey Ajwillys,

How did your double coil turn out? Do you have pictures or suggestions? Lowes has 1/2" x 50' on sale for $38 this weekend!! Good timing

Do you suggest I use all 50' or should I just use 25' and split it with a friend?

Thanks,
Lorne

Fermenting: Bottled: BALE BONDS Nut Brown | EASY RYDER Amber | STOUTISH SPINX Stout | BEE KING Van Cream Stout | MANN UND FRAU Hefe | CREAM OF THE CROP Cream | CAMBRIDGE CLOVER Red | NAUGHTY PINE Spiced Porter | Tres Nieves Milk Stout | Dubbel Vision Belgian On Deck:

Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
ajwillys
Recipes 

Wow, what an old thread! It turned out great, I've been using ever since. I would use all 50'. I did. Just make sure it fits inside your pot, this design probably won't work well with a 7 gallon pot. Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics of the parts anymore but I have one large rigid pipe that splits into two, then turns downward and steps down in size to the coiled size. Then I have one coil inside and one outside. At the bottom of the coils, the reverse occurs and they come back together, then it heads back up to the top. I connected it to garden hoses by just adding RTV to the outside of the larger copper and sliding a garden hose over. It fit pretty good. Double hose clamped it to ensure it doesn't leak (and I watch it, I've had to replace the garden hose once).

I'll see if I can find some pics.

Edit: Here you go.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
lorne17
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the reply. Didn't see how old the thread was haha.

I did however make a wort chiller last night. I went with the ribcage style. Seemed easier than doing the dual coil.

I based it off of the design here for RedIroc: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...hiller-106415/

All in all, this is 25' of 1/2" copper tubing. I altered the design a bit and added a compression T fitting to split the incoming water into each coil to even disburse the cold water in the Wort. Then both come up and shoot out.

One issue I had was I didn't anticipate how large the 90 degree turn radiuses would be so my straight lengths ended up being too short. I kinked the first one I tried to bend, so I didn't want to risk breaking the tube by straightening and trying again. So I may just have to add a foot or so of clear tubing with a clamp for the exit tubes. Luckily I left PLENTY of tubing for the inlet to a hose bibb. That also came across the top to act as my handle to carry it. Since that's the inlet the tube won't burn my hand, the other two would.

It's a great design and easy to make!! I plan to test it this weekend. Here's some pictures of my finished chiller.

3.jpg   4.jpg  

Fermenting: Bottled: BALE BONDS Nut Brown | EASY RYDER Amber | STOUTISH SPINX Stout | BEE KING Van Cream Stout | MANN UND FRAU Hefe | CREAM OF THE CROP Cream | CAMBRIDGE CLOVER Red | NAUGHTY PINE Spiced Porter | Tres Nieves Milk Stout | Dubbel Vision Belgian On Deck:

Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
ajwillys
Recipes 

Looks very nice! Much cleaner looking than mine!

Quick Reply