Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > DYI Stirplate Trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Rockweezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DYI Stirplate Trouble

I have been stuck trouble shooting my Stirplate build. I followed Anthony Lopez cheap and easy stirplate build up the project locater on this site. I attempted using several old cell phone chargers, but they did not provide enough power to get water whirl-pooling. So I realize I need more power.

I went to Radio Shack and they have a ton of options, but I have no idea about this stuff and neither to they. I believe I want an AC to DC power source that can switch voltages from 5V, 7V, 9V and 12V, but I don't even know. They range in price from $20 to $48, so before I shell out the money and splice the cords I want to know I am getting the right thing. If you know of links on ebay or amazon that would be cool too. Thanks

Diamond Head Brewery (DHB)

Carboy #1: Tallgrass Talcyon Wheat
Carboy #2: Full Sail Amber Clone
Carboy #3: Graff
In the Hole: Keg #5: Citra Pale Ale

Keg #1: Darth Vader (Black IPA)
Keg #2: Smash Ale
Keg #3: Amayson Saison
Keg #4: Citra Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
DevilsCreekBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you have any surplus stores near you? I was able to fin a 12VDC wall wort for $6.00 at the one by me.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
Rockweezy
Recipes 

I'll have to look at the local hardware store, but I still need to know exactly what I need to buy.

Diamond Head Brewery (DHB)

Carboy #1: Tallgrass Talcyon Wheat
Carboy #2: Full Sail Amber Clone
Carboy #3: Graff
In the Hole: Keg #5: Citra Pale Ale

Keg #1: Darth Vader (Black IPA)
Keg #2: Smash Ale
Keg #3: Amayson Saison
Keg #4: Citra Pale Ale

Old 06-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you didn't do a speed control knob on your stir plate and want something that can switch voltages then something like this http://www.amazon.com/VX-79NP-MULTI-...6233081&sr=1-2 should work, If you look at the larger picture you will notice a slider at the bottom edge where you switch the voltage.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Go to a pawn shop near by, and buy the oldest wireless phone they have - The power supplies were 12v DC, and usually over 1 amp. Plus it shouldn't cost much!

CL might be a good option too.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You don't need a vortex for a stirplate to be effective, all that needs to happen is to have that stirbar spin a bit to keep the starter churned up and get the yeast more in contact with the sugar.

If you've already got that then you're golden, if not then I'd recommend the adjustable wall-wort linked to above.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2430 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

A 12VDC fan will require DC Voltage. Somewhere between 0 and 13ish volts should work.

Check to see if the fan is turning without the flask. I used a cheap potentiometer on my stirplate and don't even use it. I have a 6V mobile phone charger wired in and the pot is turned all the way down.

The vortex is cool, but you don't need it. Even at a slow speed, the yeast will become suspended, and remain in contact with the wort and the surface to exchange oxygen.

My stirbar is ribbed for my pleasure. That might also help.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a 12V power supply and I am thinking it might be too much? I have a 1 1/2" stir bar and for the love of life I cannot get it to spin. When I turn my unit on the thing just jumps around and never spins. I have tried reversing the magnet (the arc shaped one from the inside of a hard drive) and it still jumps. The HD magnet isn't epoxied to the fan in any way, it just sticks to it since the fan itself must be magnetized. Do I need a second potentiometer to reduce the current/speed or should I switch to a 6-9v power cord and see if it does anything?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have you tried a shorter stir bar. I have the stir plate posted above and it came with a 1" stir bar. It works fine when an I usually make a 1800ml starter.

I bought a longer 1 1/2 stir just to try it and it just jumps around. After make 5 or so starter I realize that I don't need that big of stir bar. It doesn't take much to keep the yeast in suspension.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
Great_Neck_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

On my 12V fan I used a 9V power supply and a regulator. This will slow the fan down enough so it doesn't go spinning the magnet off.

Quick Reply