Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #81
ddroukas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have gross tons of copper laying around the house from various past projects; I think I'll build a CFC. My question--in true n00b form--is this: when gravity feeding a CFC, does it require merely one pass to reduce to pitching temps? Does one need to pour from a collection bucket back into the kettle and send it through for a second pass?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #82
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A single pass brings the wort output temp to about 5F above the coolant temp. So, 65F coolant will get you near 70F wort output.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #83
ddroukas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bobby M: I'd assume the change in temperature is dependent on the length of tubing in the CFC, with matching the coolant's temperature being the maximum potential. I brought the image of the Chillzilla into photoshop and figured approximately 14 feet of tubing in the chiller. I have 50 ft. at my disposal. Logically, after a certain length, extra tubing becomes superfluous and a waste of money for little effect on temperature change. What length of tubing would you suggest I use for my DIY chiller?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #84
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll tell you this much, I pump at 3-4 gpm through 25' and get within 5' of the coolant. If you are gravity draining, I believe you could go shorter, since the wort spends more time in the chiller.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #85
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I'd stick with 25. It's a little overkill for a gravity drain, but you'll be glad if you ever buy a pump.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 AM   #86
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I'd stick with 25. It's a little overkill for a gravity drain, but you'll be glad if you ever buy a pump.
and i bet you will, I think a pump was one of the greatest additions to my brewery. I'd recommend that anybody using a cfc, eventually get a good pump.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #87
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinison_fan
Nice tutorial Bobby, and great timing- I've got all the stuff sitting on my workbench to put mine together tommorow. I bought my 50' copper tubing (3/8) from coppertubingsales.com (it was $44-47 delivered).
The other thing is I bought a cheap vinyl hose, but may hold off and get a rubber hose instead.

Another thought for those that don't have the torch-borrow one from a neighbor, or get the neighbor to soldier it up for you in exchange for a few homebrews.
I built my CFC using a design identical to Bobby's except I went the cheap vinyl hose route.
Well, ten years later, its still going strong, although I would probably use a better grade of hose if I were to do it over again today.

BTW, very nice tutorial, Bobby.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #88
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Those 1/2" to 1/4" reducers are a PITA to find... none at home depot, lowes, or the local plumbing supply house... I used an end cap and drilled it out...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #89
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Interesting. My Lowes had two boxes of 100 or some other obscene number.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #90
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was somewhat surprised to find that they didn't have them as well... Only place I found them was mcmaster, but I really wanted to get this beast built. I'll post pic's on the process once I'm done.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Quick Reply