Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #381
ShelterPupsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmickey
My process is that immediately after the boil I stir hard for about 30 seconds to whirlpool, let it settle for about 8 minutes and then let it drain through my CFC into the fermentation bucket or carboy.....no pump used. Drains out in about 25 minutes max. Is it quicker to recirculate wort with pump to cool it down and then drain or pump into carboy? I just figured with my process it was simple and I was using one less piece of equipment (pump) to touch my cooled wort.
I use to drain the hot wort through the CFC into the fermenter without a pump. This also worked pretty well and was ready for yeast in approx 20 minutes. It's a good way to go if you are not using a pump. The advantages that I have found using the pump/recirculating method is that I get a better cold break (clearer beer) and the finish product retains more hop aroma and maybe more hop flavor.

The recirc/whirlpool/transfer process takes 20-25 minutes depending on how much whirlpool you want.

Beer has Food value, but Food has no Beer value.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #382
bwoodworth
Recipes 

I am thinking of making a CFC based on this great guide and have noticed there is a big difference in price for hoses that are made specifically for high temperatures. How necessary is it to have a hi-temp hose? It seems to me like the hose isn't actually touching the hot wort, but rather has the cool water barrier. Has any measured the cooling water temp after it has gone through the chiller to see how hot it gets?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #383
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

I use an el cheapo hose with no problems. My hose doesn't feel overly warm when cooling. But one thing I see now that I didn't when I built mine is if/when my hose dies I would be pretty screwed on a easy fix the more expensive hoses probably last longer

Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #384
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodworth
I am thinking of making a CFC based on this great guide and have noticed there is a big difference in price for hoses that are made specifically for high temperatures. How necessary is it to have a hi-temp hose? It seems to me like the hose isn't actually touching the hot wort, but rather has the cool water barrier. Has any measured the cooling water temp after it has gone through the chiller to see how hot it gets?
I recirculate the last 20 to 30 minutes of the boil to kill off any bad stuff. So the hose gets pretty hot with no water running thru it.
I used the good year high temp hose. 50 ft was $35 at home depot. Not much more than the other stuff.
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #385
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

Oh I forgot to mention I santatize mine by circulating star san for 20 mins that's probably why mine doesn't get as hot. I never run liquid through mine without the cooling water running

Old 03-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #386
cincypilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try heater hose from an auto parts store, I bought 5/8 inch for less than a dollar a foot. Works great. Good luck with your chiller Stefan

Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #387
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine's pretty much the same as everyone else's. I used MoreBeer's 1/2" male quick disconnects for my wort in and out.

I had some problems sweating the reducer the inside tube passes through. I guess I did not get it cleaned well or applied enough flux. I had to take it back apart and resweat those joints. I cleaned the crap out of them and slathered the flux on to make sure there was still plenty once it was slid into place. No leaks

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #388
CraigT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thank you bobby m

i just made this tonight. i got 33 ft of the copper for free at work and i bought the rest of the stuff i needed. i just got done testing this with water and it brought 5 gallons of boiling water down to 55 degrees with my 3/8 kettle valve wide open! good thing my other kettle has a half inch valve so maybe i won't hit so low of a temp next time. i goess my ground water is cooler than i thought

Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #389
carter840
Recipes 

I debating between this or a 50' immersion chiller. I do not have a valve on my kettle. I typically use a funnel and a mesh strainer. I do not have time right now to DIY so I would either buy this or an immersion chiller. I would need to hook these up to my facet and also use gravity feed my beer through it. Could I use a CFC given considering these things?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #390
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter840 View Post
I debating between this or a 50' immersion chiller. I do not have a valve on my kettle. I typically use a funnel and a mesh strainer. I do not have time right now to DIY so I would either buy this or an immersion chiller. I would need to hook these up to my facet and also use gravity feed my beer through it. Could I use a CFC given considering these things?
immersion chiller for your setup. You could always use the copper later to make of these when you get a valve installed and move to a pump.
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Quick Reply