HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Counterflow Chiller Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #101
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1171 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
I have a 50' 1/2" IC that I have been considering converting. How hard would it be to convert this??

Would I need to get 3/4" hose? Is 1/2" Copper tubing too big for a CFC? Also, would I have to straighten out the copper before slipping the hose on?

Thanks.
I'd consider selling that IC and making a CFC from scratch. You will have to straighten the coil first and it's likely already too stiff from the slight bending it's already been through. 3/8" x 20-25' is ideal in my opinion but I'm sure the 1/2" would be fine with 3/4" hose. You'll need to upgrade the end TEEs to 3/4" also and the reducers would be 3/4" to 3/8" if they have them.

Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN! ULWD 5500w Ripple, 2000w, 1500w, etc
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #102
bigben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok....anyone wanna build me a 25' CFC and trade a 50' IC?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #103
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
ok....anyone wanna build me a 25' CFC and trade a 50' IC?

You can straighten the IC you have. I just converted a 25' IC to a CFC with no issues. I did have to cut the bends out and could only use the coils, but I had no problems straightening out the coils or wrapping the CFC when I was done.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #104
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea, I dove in. I cut mine last night.

The only issue with mine is that it's 1/2" copper tubing...not 3/8" like everyone uses. So I will probably make it at least 30 feet...or maybe the whole 50', since more wort will be flowing through at any given time. Not sure yet. And I will have to find the proper fittings.

I have also thought about making a hybrid chiller. I just have to coil the tubing up very tightly and I'm not sure I can do it without messing up the tubing.... How big of a diameter can you get PVC Pipe and end caps in?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #105
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I put my converted IC to CFC into service this past weekend and it worked better than I could have imagined. My tap water (well) is still nice and cool and I was able to throttle back the flow of my cooling water to a trickle and still came out with wort at about 70* using gravity feed. Me like.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #106
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

You don't want to try getting 1/2" into a diameter smaller than about 6" and PVC larger than that is really hard to come by cheaply. Why not use 3/4" vinyl tubing as the outer jacket for a CFC?

New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN! ULWD 5500w Ripple, 2000w, 1500w, etc
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #107
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You don't want to try getting 1/2" into a diameter smaller than about 6" and PVC larger than that is really hard to come by cheaply. Why not use 3/4" vinyl tubing as the outer jacket for a CFC?
I may do that bobby, but then I have the task of straightening out this huge coil.

If I did a CFC with 1/2" OD Inner tubing tho, would it need to be longer than a CFC made with 3/8" OD Inner tubing? Or would the larger amount of cooling water negate the presence of more hot wort? This is assuming that I don't have any flow control on the CFC output, and the wort is flowing as fast as it can.

One more thing...I would need 3/4" ID tubing right?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #108
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I found the reducers for my second CFC at a different Lowes...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 04-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #109
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Is very niiiice.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #110
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, after all my 'hybrid' chiller talk...I think I'm just gonna make a CFC with my 1/2" IC. I already starting unrolling it. It seems pretty easy to straighten it out.

I'll probably go with the Cheyco method tho, and not use solder, cuz Im a noob. Also I guess I will try 3/4" ID Tubing for the outer hose.

Quick Reply