Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Cooling wort without running water: HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #11
AnchorBock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Take a bucket and attach a hose bib to that. Run a hose from that to a pump, and pump the water into the chiller. Recirculate from the output back into the bucket. Add ice or snow to the bucket as needed.
Would a pond pump work in a cold garage? Like MN in the winter cold (detached unheated garage)?

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
Adamski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I second the no-chill method. Don't know why more people in the US aren't getting on board. We've got it pretty nutted out here in Aus. Some people are even doing 100% cube-hopped beers with no boiled hops. The hot wort sits above isomerisation temp for a fair while so having the hops in the cube gives you bitterness, flavour and aroma all in one addition.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
...having the hops in the cube gives you bitterness, flavour and aroma all in one addition.
Is that Australian for pellet hops?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 820 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock View Post
Would a pond pump work in a cold garage? Like MN in the winter cold (detached unheated garage)?
Probably - this isnt anything that'll be touching the wort, so it doesn't need to be food grade, etc.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Probably - this isnt anything that'll be touching the wort, so it doesn't need to be food grade, etc.
Right, just wasn't sure how a pond pump would do with ice cold water and below freezing ambient temperatures. I was thinking about it more and believe that some people up here run ponds year round, I'll look into that a bit and see what they're using for pumps. I'm getting sick of carrying a kettle from the garage down to the basement to chill the wort...

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You are in 'The Springs' man. You have electricity right?
The day prior to brewday, go fill up several buckets or even a HUGE ice chest with water. Even if you have to carry 5 gallon buckets out to it. leave the ice chest lid open and let the cold nights chill the water for you. The morning of brewday, shut the lid of the ice chest to retain the cold. Brew your beer... Attach submersible pump to an immersion chiller. Pump the chilled water through the IC. Bingo.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #17
Adamski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
Is that Australian for pellet hops?
No.

Cube

That is an HDPE 'cube' as we use for the no-chill method.

You can do a normal 60 minute or 90 minute boil without any hops at all, put about 200g of pellets/flowers into the cube and then transfer the boiled wort in on top, squeeze the air out and tighten down the cap. The boiling wort pasteurises the cube and due to the temp remaining over 85 degrees C for an hour or so you get utilisation of the hops. The only water you use in this wort chilling method is cleaning water with PBW for the cube and a Starsan rinse.

Here's another article on the process here.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #18
jknapp12105
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastanon
Hey everybody,

I recently moved to an all grain system in a buddies garage. It's a great little space except for one thing: there is no way to get running water. No hose. No sink. Not even a rain gutter. Okay maybe there's a rain gutter.

ANYWAYS, I have had trouble with cooling my wort in a timely manner. I have tried an ice bath, but the problem with that is none of my pots fit into a cooler. I also tried putting my wort into my fermentation vessel while it was in an ice bath. That worked... kinda. I did effectively warp my better bottle and it took a couple hours for me to get to a temp where I could pitch my yeast.

An idea that I had was to place my immersion chiller into an ice bath and let the wort flow through that into my fermentation vessel. I figured it could work like a counter flow chiller minus the running water.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this method before or if anyone has any better suggestions.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to responses, ideas, and probably some ridicule.
Buy a horse trough & use that to put your pot in to cool your wort. My 10 gal pot fits great in one with ALOT of room for ice. Just a cheap and easy solution

Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
ToV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Many good suggestions have been posted. I think whatever method is used you will need a pump. I remember using a counterflow without a pump (kind of like using an immersion chiller as you describe) and without a large drop it will take forever. Recirculating ice water through the chiller would allow you to use a non-food grade pump.

Still it seems that the simplest way would be to get a couple long hoses and run water from a faucet out the the garage and then away again.

Or you could do what I did when I was propane brewing outside and my CFC clogged.

snow-keg.jpg  

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToV View Post
Many good suggestions have been posted. I think whatever method is used you will need a pump. I remember using a counterflow without a pump (kind of like using an immersion chiller as you describe) and without a large drop it will take forever. Recirculating ice water through the chiller would allow you to use a non-food grade pump.

Still it seems that the simplest way would be to get a couple long hoses and run water from a faucet out the the garage and then away again.

Or you could do what I did when I was propane brewing outside and my CFC clogged.
Snow is an insulator. You slowed the chill down by doing that.

Quick Reply