Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > The cheapest fan controllers (for stir plates)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
Brewers Hardware
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooyvilleLarry View Post
Just so you know, his twin is in Louisville. I think that they only sell Cell Phones anymore. I've been in there when the Manager has given people just flat wrong information.

Anyone who wants a kit could deal with Welcome to Stir Plates.com - guy seems alright and his work looks good.
I don't know if this guy is alright or not.... But I try to do good work! lol...

(FWIW I just upgraded my account to Vendor status so I don't have to feel like a free-loader posting picts of my products)

Here's a pict of what you get in my kit:

Not shown but also included is a wall wort power supply that the circuit is tuned to. The high end is adjustable from 9-16VDC. It's $14.95 which is more than the $3 item the OP put up, but as you can see there's a lot to it.

If you don't want to mess around with building your own, I also sell them complete with a stir bar.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
alpo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

They are voltage regulators, not just potentiometers. 5-12 V range, up to 1 amp. These exact units are commonly bundled with processor fans and such.

Anyway, for anyone that cares, I ordered 3 and got them in the mail yesterday, so that was 11 days for shipping. I cracked one open and the IC even has a heatsink on it, so that was a pleasant surprise. They seem decent enough.

The only thing that sucks is that the knob contacts the pot via a plastic phillips type axle that sticks out from the inside of the knob and fits into the pot and the housing is holding them together. So, it would be difficult to remove the housing and still be able to use it because you'd have to fabricate some sort knob shaft that sticks in there stays in place. I suppose you could glue it or something, but these parts are pretty tiny and it would not be very strong.

I swapped out my existing voltage reg circuit for this one and it is working fine so far. The stir plate has been going for about 20 hours at ~9 volts on a 1 amp supply. I'd like to try it at 12 V, but I can't go that fast without throwing my stir bar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply