Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Bending 1/2" .020 SS for Immersion Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
jjyoung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bending 1/2" .020 SS for Immersion Chiller

I've seen a number of threads on here regarding the difficulty of bending SS, but they seem to be related more to dip tubes. Has anyone tried bending 1/2"" .020 wall SS tubing around a Cornie Keg, and what difficulties have you had? Should this be filled with sand first, or is that only necessary for tight bends. Is a tubing bender (yet more money to spend) really necessary for this?

The SS tubing that I bought is currently in a coil of about 2ft in diameter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I'd be interested in any solutions that people can come up with. I bought some bare SS tubing for building a jockey box last year. The SS came in a coil, but it was too large of a coil to fit into my cooler. I bent maybe 1/3 of the coil around a cornie keg before calling it quits for the day. It was just too springy to keep all that SS tight on the keg.

I then found a great deal on Craigslist for existing SS jockey box coils and never got back to my original SS. I'd like to make another jockey box to sell, but I am dreading dealing with the tubing again.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

check out the youtube video of Bobby_M making an IC out of a roll of copper coil. He makes it look easy and it turns out tight! You can find it under the DIY section under videos (not sure how to link it in my post!)

Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Copper is easy, I am wondering the same thing as there are good deals on SS tubing online. Can't remember where but I was looking the other day.

So I am watching for some tips/solutions.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrewer View Post
check out the youtube video of Bobby_M making an IC out of a roll of copper coil. He makes it look easy and it turns out tight! You can find it under the DIY section under videos (not sure how to link it in my post!)

Here is the video

Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
jjyoung
Recipes 

I've watched the video but it doesn't speak to the issues of bending SS which is a lot more difficult

Old 05-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyoung View Post
I've watched the video but it doesn't speak to the issues of bending SS which is a lot more difficult
I just watched the video as I have never seen it before. Sorry. I was trying to help out two people with one post. I thought it would help out more.

While I am not familiar with the SS, cause I have never bent it into a coil. I have done lots of copper. I would imagine that warping it around a keg would be the same as copper. It will be a lot more tiresome, but doable. The radius is not a small one. I do know that you are much more smart with your money then I am cause, I would have already had it wrapped around a keg and if it didn't work, then I would ask. Good luck and I hope someone with experience chimes in for you.

Edit; Here is a post from The Pol about his 1/2" SS chiller he has/made/bought??? It looks like I am wrong about being able to bend it. Again, Good luck.

"Bought the coil as a HD chiller from Midwest.

Trust me, you arent going to bend 1/2" SS tubing that nicely, it is VERY HARD! I hope the rest of the build goes a little easier."

Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 AM   #8
DevilsCreekBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've bent a fair bit of SS tubing in the last few weeks, but with a bender. Without a tube bender, what I would do is cap one end, and fill it with sand. Cap the other end, and clamp the non coiling end to what you are wrapping it around, then wrap. SS kinks fairly badly even in a tube bender, I don't envy trying to do this.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
jjyoung
Recipes 

Quote:
I've bent a fair bit of SS tubing in the last few weeks, but with a bender.
What kind of bender do you use? I've been looking at them, but unless you go higher end it doesn't look like you can control the bend radius.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
rking
Recipes 

Fortunately, Im big into cars as well. I used a 1/2 inch tube bender that we use for fuel lines to bend my HERMS coil. Its not the prettiest thing, it leaves small kink looking bends instead of the nice roll that you will see with copper, but there was absolutely no other way to bend the stuff. Its tough!

Also the bender was kind of pricey, around $140 but I cant see there being any other way...

HTH

Cory

Quick Reply