Add fitting to Chillus Convolutus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtfeld

Reaction score
I found one other build, but it was not a clean as I'd like, so here's what I did.

I wanted to add fitting to my Chillus Convolutus that would allow for the following

1. Camlock fittings to be attched to the wort in and out pipe.
2. Add temperature probes for a BCS-462 on the cold water in and cold wort out to monitor both temps.
3. Add a valve to allow recirculation back the the BK to sterilize and whirlpool hot wort.
4. Add valve to allow wort to be pumped out into fermentor.

Here's the finished product. Camlock are not shown as they are currently out of stock. I used barbs for testing.

The trick to this is you have to "build up" the wort in and out pipe to fit standard 1/2" copper pipe and fittings. At first, I thought this was imposible due to my copy of the chillus had a flare on each end I assume from the mfg. process, and I thought it was too large, but cutting about 1/4" off the end with a Dremel tool revealed the pipe was just the right size to fit the ID of 1/2" copper pipe. The Chillus wort pipe was approx .565 +/.005" and the inside of the copper pipe was .570+/- .005.

I simply cut a short lenght of 1/2" copper pipe and soldered it onto the wort in and out pipe. Once that was in place as a "filler" standard copper fittings allow the rest of this to come together.

DSC_0829.800x600.jpg

DSC_0806.800x600.jpg

DSC_0832.800x600.jpg

DSC_0811.800x600.jpg

Here are the components and the subassembly's. Disregard the hose quick disconnect, I placed them in garden duty as they leaked when not under pressure.

From the Hardware store

(4) 1/2" FPT to 1/2" copper fitting
(2) 1/2" copper tee's
(1) 3/4" male hose fitting to 1/2" male NPT
(1) 1/2" male NPT to 3/4"female hose fitting

From Bargain Fitings

(2) 1/2" NPT to 1/4" NPT SS reducer
(2) 1/2" NPT SS Hex nipple
(2) 1/2" NPT to hose SS barb
(1) 1/2" NPT SS tee
(2) 1/2" NPT 2pc SS valve

(4) pcs 1/2" coppper pipe "nipple" cut 1-1/2" long cut from 2' length of copper pipe.

Sweat copper fittings together in the order shown. Install threaded components together with teflon tape.

The 4th 1/2" FPT to 1/2" copper fitting is attached to the wort in pipe and your choice of fitting istalled with teflon tape.

Install (2) temp probes of your choice into the 1/4" reducer hole.

DSC_0823.800x600.jpg

DSC_0825.800x600.jpg

DSC_0813.800x600.jpg

DSC_0821.800x600.jpg

DSC_0816.800x600.jpg

I am adding my two cents to this. I tried the sloppier method and the solder did a very poor job filling such a large gap. I went with your method but My OD was around .580" of the chillers beer out.

I had to turn about .040" off of the ID of the 1/2" before I could use it as a sleeve. Took much more work than what you had to do, but none the less I got my female adapter on there and saved about $100 total by buying From B3 deal of the day. Thanks for your post!

I am adding my two cents to this. I tried the sloppier method and the solder did a very poor job filling such a large gap. I went with your method but My OD was around .580" of the chillers beer out.

I had to turn about .040" off of the ID of the 1/2" before I could use it as a sleeve. Took much more work than what you had to do, but none the less I got my female adapter on there and saved about $100 total by buying From B3 deal of the day. Thanks for your post!

Did you cut off the ends?

How did you turn the ID of the pipe? I assume you have a lathe? :(

Did you cut off the ends?

How did you turn the ID of the pipe? I assume you have a lathe? :(

I did not cut the ends off if I remember correctly. I had some spare copper from my kegorator/ferm chamber project and threw it up on a lathe at work.

Im going to miss having access to a machine shop 24/7. Leaving the job at bad timing, right as I am beginning my eherms electric brewery setup...

I did not cut the ends off if I remember correctly. I had some spare copper from my kegorator/ferm chamber project and threw it up on a lathe at work.

Im going to miss having access to a machine shop 24/7. Leaving the job at bad timing, right as I am beginning my eherms electric brewery setup...

Thanks.

FYI - I just did this project and you need to cut the flares off the first 1/4" of the pipes as the OP stated. Then standard 1/2" slid over the tube like a glove.

Def glad I didnt pay morebeer extra for the fittings.

Back