Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > 50 foot 1/2 inch SS coil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #201
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, copper is cake and I have no issue with .035 stainless either.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #202
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M

I have a similar bender and I get buckling with .028, nevermind .020. It's a 3" radius mandrel. What's your secret?
No secret really. What bender are you using? If it's not the bender you're using it could be the tubing manufacturer. Sometimes the tube itself is just not as rigid or made as well as others. I've had problems threading sch80 smls SS pipe which you would think would be easier than because of the heavy wall thickness but the threads would just chip or chunk out. Tried a different brand...no problems. Welded and seamless may make a difference to. Possibly where the weld is located when you're bending it.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #203
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
If it's not the bender you're using it could be the tubing manufacturer.
so just to be clear though, you have actually used the bender on the 304 .020 stainless tubing from grainger that people have been buying (referenced through out the thread). Sounds like Bobby is saying he has tried it with little success (albeit with a different bender and different tubing).

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #204
Pitbull1963
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just wanted to say thanks to V Twin. I built your jig and it worked great. Recoiled my stainless steel coil to fit my keggle.

dscn1427.jpg   dscn1428.jpg  

Old 04-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #205
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
so just to be clear though, you have actually used the bender on the 304 .020 stainless tubing from grainger that people have been buying (referenced through out the thread). Sounds like Bobby is saying he has tried it with little success (albeit with a different bender and different tubing).
That's correct. I would bend a piece if I had one in stock but it's not as common and more expensive because of that. .035 is standard. It also depends if you're bending straight or coiled tubing (beverage line) which is typically softer for bending applications without kinking. A picture below shows the most prone spot that I can imagine where the kink might occur. A small indent in the tube is common but has never been as far as kinking or collapsing. After that circled spot, there really is no room for the tube to do anything other than stretch because of the dies. This is all just from experience with what I've had.

By zjosey at 2012-04-20

Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #206
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing View Post
That's correct. I would bend a piece if I had one in stock but it's not as common and more expensive because of that. .035 is standard. It also depends if you're bending straight or coiled tubing (beverage line) which is typically softer for bending applications without kinking. A picture below shows the most prone spot that I can imagine where the kink might occur. A small indent in the tube is common but has never been as far as kinking or collapsing. After that circled spot, there really is no room for the tube to do anything other than stretch because of the dies. This is all just from experience with what I've had.
Thanks for the info. You say the .035 is more common and less expensive - I haven't seen roles of .035 for less than .020. I of course am referring to coiled tubing.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #207
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Thanks for the info. You say the .035 is more common and less expensive - I haven't seen roles of .035 for less than .020. I of course am referring to coiled tubing.
It all depends on who you're buying it from.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #208
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

going to attempt to install my 25ft herms coil today. it is 304 stainless steel from nybrewsupply that was coiled to approximately 10 inches in diameter. should i install the coil with the zip ties on or should i remove the zip ties and all the coil to expand before i start drilling hoes? I'm not sure if once the coil is installed with zip ties and then i cut them off if the fittings are strong enough to keep the coil in place or if the coil would expand. I'm worried about expansion as i don't want the coil to put pressure on my heating element.. i did remove the zip ties to see what would happen and the coil almost doubled in height then i immediately zip tied it back together. E-Herms build. any help would be appreciated. thanks all

Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #209
psbuckland
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You'll be fine to cut them now. It will expand very little. Do you have couplers welded or are you going weldless?

S-

Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #210
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I wonder if there is a way, while manipulating the coil through the three-roller device, to encourage a tighter helix.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply