Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cleaners (keg, carboy, lines, etc) > Quick and Cheap line cleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #21
bendavanza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

tkone
Crud starts building up on the interior of the faucets, which can get into the faucet and it's seals when opening and closing. Flies and other bugs like to get up in the faucets. Beer stone builds up on the lines. Next time you pull off a faucet notice how much crud is behind it in the shank area. Lots of reasons to clean out the lines every couple months. BLC or similar works great, I pump it through the lines, let it sit, pump a little more, then rinse with water. Nice clean lines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
tkone
Recipes 

I'm not referring to lines -- those I clean each time I change a keg. I was referring to the beer gun which does need to be cleaned when you're done but not when
switching between beers

On tap:
You Porter, You Dug 'er Up (Munich/Crystal version)
Todd's Special Bitter
Brown Cascade Hoppy Brown Ale

Fermenting:
You Porter, You Dug 'er Up (Amber/Brown malt version)
Shortwrench IPA (Longhammer Clone)

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #23
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkone View Post
I'm not referring to lines -- those I clean each time I change a keg. I was referring to the beer gun which does need to be cleaned when you're done but not when
switching between beers
I have All brett beers, and sour beers, and Sacch beers. I try to make it a point to keep them separate by keeping the equipment seperate. But if I am going to use the same equipment like the beer gun to bottle up beers, I start with Saccharomyces, then All Brett, then the Sour beers. Sanitizing between.
I try to make a point to be extra careful now that I have been doing sours and Brett beers, and am sanitizing a lot more than I use to, I might be being a little over kill, but I have not had a problem yet (Knock Knock).

Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #24
95747brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
Ideally you should be cleaning out your lines frequently.It does not take long for mold to start in the faucets, and from there it can quickly get in to the lines. I tend to disconnect my kegs from the tap if I am not drinking for a couple days, or if I want to rotate some thing in.

I don't like to take things apart too often though, I feel it shortens the life of the gaskets and the valves if I monkey around with it them much.
Not drinking for a couple days? The only time I do that is when my keg is empty, bringing me back to my original point.
Maybe I drink too much, but I dont think my faucets get time to grow mold before I down the keg.

Quick Reply